1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I bought one of these.........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toowrongfoo, Jan 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    srsc805-2-.

And I'm really surprised by some things. First, the fret leveling is AWESOME and I can pull the strings WAY down w/o buzz or whatever, I mean REALLY low. The tone is really good (though I wish it had the Nordstrands my way older Premium does) and records great. I mean really great.

The b...ch is that like most Indo instruments, fret sprout is bad (it's a really common thing in this area with indo including the 1405 I mentioned earlier) Also, not-sure-if about the purple hart fingerboard. Seems to discolor........that ticks me off.

But it's light, but tight, and other than either me PAINSTAKINGLY taping off stuff and getting rip of the sprouts (or just taking it to someone, but techs are mostly lame in this area) it's a joy to play.

Any thoughts from the pro's here?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    There's been some good discussion on fixing fret sprout recently, I'll try to find the thread... Edit: Fret edge <read Turnaround's posts in this thread...

Oh and nice looking bass!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    toowrongfoo and Winoman like this.
  3. jonnybass1

jonnybass1

Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    That bass is beautiful!!

toowrongfoo likes this.
  4. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    As you probably know, fret sprout occurs when wood used for a neck looses moisture (and shrinks a little) after the frets were dressed. I live in a fairly humid part of Texas but still had some instruments that developed fret sprout. The best solution I have found is to keep the instruments in a room with a humidifier. In the winter when the heater is on the humidifier goes through about a gallon of water a day in a medium size bedroom.

I have one bass that had really bad fret sprout and now it can barely be felt after a few days in the room with the humidifier.

5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    And I was thinking "not another P-Bass":rollno:
    Congrats!

6. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I don't know... how are you supposed to wrap your thumb around the B above the 13th fret? ;)

Artobass, mech and Ampslut like this.
  7. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    I guess you are not suppose to. :)

Johno Dunn and gebass6 like this.
  8. Well you like the tone, and the feel. It’s light? I would get busy with a file and sandpaper. What’s the issue with the purple heart fingerboard?

9. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    Looks great!

toowrongfoo likes this.
  10. Why would you want to? if I understand "wrap your thumb around", that would be what I consider bad technique and hinder a needed free and relaxed fretting hand position.
    Of course maybe you said this, as a joke?

Frank77 and gebass6 like this.
  11. With so much talk of fret sprout recently, unless you’re posting from Ghana, I’d leave it and wait for spring...it’s been unusually cold in much of the US this winter. Cold=indoor heat=low humidity=shrinking fretboards=fret sprout.

Mugre, Crusher47 and Ampslut like this.
  12. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    bongostealth likes this.
  13. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I'm reasonably certain that was a joke, bro

JeffC23, ficelles and pudgychef like this.
  14. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I've said it before.
    I'd like to see someone play a 18th,19th fret scale on a 5 or 6 string double cut bass WITH their thumb on the B string.
    Most have their thumbs on the back of the neck up there.

15. Yay!!!

toowrongfoo likes this.
  16. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Nice bass! Usually NBD posts include telling what it is.....? :confused:

BurnOut, twinjet, toowrongfoo and 6 others like this.
  17. Amen. I’m pretty ignorant compared to many TB users, and I find it pretty annoying how often people post just a picture with no text saying what the instrument is. In this case, not even a headstock so I really have no clue. Ibanez?

18. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Y’all need a lesson in sarcasm.... that is all. :roflmao:

BurnOut, JeffC23 and Ampslut like this.
  19. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Looks like an Ibanez singlecut? I've never heard one or played one, but I think they're really nice looking basses.

Congrats!

BurnOut likes this.
  20. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I'm not positive on the model number, but it looks to be an Ibanez SRSC805 Cerro Single Cut in what they call "Deep Twilight".

Plutonium244 and Trouztrouz like this.