1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I bought the playjazznow.com stuff - what now?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Norwegianwood, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Well, I´m not really as lost at the title might suggest:) But still I´d like some tips.

I´ve bought these nice backing tracks for straigth 2-5 progressions:
    http://www.playjazznow.com/chartMAJTURN.html

As for now I´ve just been working on my walking lines, and I think it´s very helpful. I get plenty of time to try out new ideas and memorize them, considering each track clocks in at four minutes plus. And it´s so much more inspiration thand band in a box.

Anyway: Have you guys got some tips on what to practise with these progressions? I´ve been messing around alot on the chords and major scale, but would like to know if you have any specific exersises or whatever that I can apply.

Btw, I just learned how nice (although abit cheesy:) ) it is to add the ninth on the dominant (fifth) chords. That´s what it´s called, right, ninth - when I play a Ab on, say a G fifth chord? Or have I got it wrong?

2. An Ab on a G7 chord? Thats a flat nine. I haven't checked out those tracks yet; they pretty hip?

3. As has been said around here, the best way to better lines:

1. LISTEN to players you like. Make mental notes of what they are doing that sounds so darn good.

2. TRANSCRIBE lines from player you like (sort of reinforces #1 above)

3. PRACTICE. Try new things. When walking, let go a little bit from the bounds of scales. Forget about scales while playing music. They do not make good lines. Instead, concentrate on the chord tones. Think in terms of arpeggios, but add in passing tones to fill in the spaces. Some passing tones sound better than others in this context, but not in that context. Dig? Maybe challenge yourself to play ONLY chord tones for a while, then when that starts to become second nature, stretch out a little into more chromatics and passing tones.

4. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    I've got several of those CD's . MY problem with them is it is hard to hear the drummer in the mix on some of mine unless they're really loud.
    And I need all the help I can get.

5. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    norwegian -- are you saying you're playing an Ab on D7 chord?

6. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    when you play a "tri-tone" (flat 5) it is tradtionally called a tri-tone substitution.

7. Yeah, that´s it.... flat nine on dominant fifth. Sounds kind of nice, at least while soloing on ballads.

The tracks are not super hip, I think lots of the aebersold stuff is cooler. But I like that they are just the same thing over and over again, and sounds good. It gives me time to listen and figure out stuff:)

8. First of all: Thanks!

I should absolutely transcribe more. It´s just I have so little time to do music these days, so when I have spare time I just wanna play. But I know you´r right on this one:)

I actually play alot of chord tones when I solo. Perhaps even a bit too much, because I know the arpeggios and they are a safe haven.
    You know what I mean? I tend to play the root every time the chord change. Not good! But I guess by transcribing and expanding my vocabulary I´ll learn better phrases and ideas.

9. bmanbill

bmanbill

Jun 29, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    NW,

First of all, thanks for buying PJN tracks. I'm the guy who runs the site and I happen to be a bass player too. I've been playing and teaching for a long time and have developed a simple method to improve your bass lines. Please see the pdf labeled "Bass Line Construction" on this page: http://billharrisonmusic.com/bass.html

Let me know if you have any questions when you check it out.

10. Damon Rondeau

Damon Rondeau Journeyman Clam Artist Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2002
    Winnipeg, baby
    Mr. Wood -- just to get the terminology less confusing: there really isn't a dominant fifth chord. The chord you are talking about is a dominant seventh chord with a flat 9th. The chord built at the fifth degree of a major scale is a dominant seventh chord; perhaps that's what you were thinking of when you translated...

11. Yes, of course, silly me! Or, the reason why I added the "fifth" was because I wasn´t certain about the translation of "dominant". So I wanted to make sure you guys knew I was refering to the V7 chord. But that wasn´t very successfull:)