Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I changed from Eden WT-800 to Ampeg SVT 4Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hoel, Aug 26, 2004.

1. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    My old rig was a WT-800 w/ two 210T cabs. I now have a Ampeg SVT 4Pro w/ two Aguilar 1x12" cabs.

I like this rig better. The cabs is easier to carry around, and play just as well as the 210T cabs. I had to bridge the amp to get it to play with enough headroom, but that's no problem.

Sounds good w/ 1964 Jazzbass.

Just wanted to let you guys know of my change, if it's of any interest :)

Greetings from Norway,
    Hoel

2. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    yeah, I'm thinking about jumping on the Ampeg wagon. I'm not scared of weight as much as I just want to be happy with my tone. So, whats the tone like with your setup like; Punchy, Bright, Round and Fat?

I'm hoping to go with something like a (4x10, 6x10, or 8x10) and 1x18.

3. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Not sure I understood your question. The sound is all I want: tight bottom, defined mids, open heighs and great punch.

:bassist:

-Hoel

4. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.

Congrats on your purchase. Welcome to the Ampeg family! Turn it up, close your eyes and enjoy!

5. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Did you bridge the WT800? Was the WT800 not enough power for you? Just checkin'. I play with the loudest guitar player on the planet and I have plenty of headroom and I get told to turn down a lot (WT800 and various cabinets depending on the room, 210XLT, 215XLT or 410XLT, 215XLT. I liked the Ampeg as well, but it killed me lifting it all the time and I find the EQ on the WT way more flexible. ENJOY.

6. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    I did not bridge the WT-800, I had one 210T cab on each channel. It was loud enough, no problem. I just like the sound of the SVT 4Pro better, plus the auggie cabinets are easier to carry :)

7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I can dig that, 20 years of carrying heavy stuff has taken it's toll on me.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Those Aggie cabs sound much, much better IMO.

By chance did you try the WT-800 with the Aggie cabs? That to me sounds like the way to go . . .

9. hoel

hoel

Jul 16, 2003
    Oppdal, Norway
    Yeah the agguie sounds better. Yesterday, I shut off the horns, and I must say I like the much more defined I get by doing that. :)

10. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Can't praise my Aggie GS112s enough. I truly like the 'Ampeg' tone (I also luv my F-1X tone...). If I were going to join the Ampeg bandwagon, I would seriously consider using only their preamp...SVP Pro, SVP CL (or the older SVP II) and scoring the solid state amp of your choice (unless you went all tube with the SVT series). I think you would get the tone you are looking for, with, potentially, a lot more power than you would have in the SVT IV Pro...and potentially save a bunch of money, to boot. As an aside, both the SVP Pro and CL have more tubes in the preamp than does the IV Pro. (doesn't really mean a thing...just garbage-talk ;) )

Kim