So I changed my oil today.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Oct 22, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I figured since it was pitch black, it may be time for a change.

I went down to autozone to get the stuff.

The castrol syntec was on special for $2.89 a quart, so I decided to give the semi-synthetic stuff a try. So I go and grab a mobil1 filter while i'm at it...

The oil change was successful... I can't really say if the syntec is better, because my truck is probably just running better because I finally got around to changing the oil. The real results will be noticed in the coming weeks, i guess.

Toyota decided to make their oil filters a real PITA to get too... I was on the roller, on my right side, my arm twisted funny, and had to wear a glove to grip the damned filter...

And of course there is always that stupid oil inside the filter that splatters EVERYWHERE!

Is there anyway to avoid that? it really bugs me. and it got all over the street. and that sucked. hooray for laundry detergent.

Maybe my process is wrong?

Remove plug

Drain oil

Instert plug

Remove filter

Add filter

Add new oil

right? how do you not get all that oil all over the place when removing the filter?
  2. Mike, I don't know how your filter is positioned in the truck, but in a tight, hard to get to spot it can be tough trying to not spill any oil when taking the filter out. If you have room and quick reaction speed, flipping the filter right side up REAL quick can result in a bunch of oil spilling all over the place.

Your process was correct though. It is the way I've always done it and have had no problems (except for the oil spilling sometime with those hard to get to filters).
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I use to do it myself..... some are harder than others.

What I realized was.

the cost of the oil
    the cost of the filter
    making the time
    getting a little dirty
    cleaning up after the job
    the trouble of having containers to put it in
    putting the spent oil in containers
    getting the spent oil to the local collection place
    = screw that, I'll pay $17 to have it done within 15 minutes while I wait AND they top off all the other fluids AND I get to drive through the attached car wash for another $5 if I choose after it's done

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I agree. But lately I've been looking around for a place that does oil changes with Amsoil. It's hard to get around here, but everyone I've heard talk about it says it's by far the best synthetic oil on the market.
  5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I use to change mine, but when I bought my last truck the Nissan dealer was offering lifetime oil changes for 124.99! It had 20,000 on it when I purchased, I just turned 165,000, still not burninig any. So I change it every 3500-4000 (lots of highway miles), at 4000 miles I'm paying 3.47 for each oil change! They doubled the price to 250, it's still a great deal!
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    You don't. That's the nature of a stupid design.
  7. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    What do you drive that you need $5+ a quart synthetic for?

Just curious, not bashing you.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A 2005 Nissan Altima.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    If you can get at the filters bottom, take a sharp round punch or pick & use a hammer to pierce a hole in the center of the filter. Let it drain a minute or two into a pan & then remove it. No spills this way.

Another tip, when installing your new filter, try to fill it up 3/4 to the top with fresh oil & install it. The reason: when you start up your vehicle after an oil change the oil from the pickup area(oil pan) must travel through to the filter first before entering the engines oil galleries & bearing surfaces. If your filter is empty, that 10 seconds or better of no oil going to the vital areas(due to the filter filling up first) definetly has a role in wear down the road. Dry starts/0 oil pressure are engines worst enemys(amongst others). It only takes a second & helps way more than it hurts. Never race your engine after you change your oil, just start it & let it idle, shut it off & check your oil level.

my $0.02

PS: Don't waste your $$$ on semi-synths unless the price is right. Either splurge for full or just stick to the natural crude
  10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    My Nissan Pathfinder is just as bad, if not worse. You can't get at the filter from below, you have to reach around the side of the engine from the passenger front quarter panel and unscrew it, even though you can't even see it. What's worse is once you get it unscrewed there isn't enough room to rotate it up, you can only rotate it down, thereby pouring all of the oil in it onto the front axl and other stuff that blocks you from getting it from below. Not only that, but getting it off is the easy part. You want to try to have some fun, next time you do it take the oil filter in your hand, close your eyes, then try to find where it goes and get it on there. That's what Pathfinders are like. I've done mine about 30 times (I'm a bit over 100k miles for me, 160k total) and it still takes me 3-5 minutes to get the new filter on. My wife's Hundai tho, 3 screws remove a plastic shield and the filter is right there with nothing around it or blocking it. I can change her oil from start to finish in about the time it takes me to get my filter off and back on.
  11. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I forget where I saw it, but I once saw a 90-degree adapter that you could install whereby the oil fliter hangs straight down. If you have the room to spare, it might help.
  12. I just did my bro's tranni and let me tell ya...15 bolts + no speed wrench + car on ground = hell. But I got it done :)
  13. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I usually just loosen the filter enough to get some oil going, and let it trickle down in a controlled spill. Once it's empty, I wipe up where it went down and take it off. Seems like oil is going to get everywhere anyway, and this way it's at least in a contained area.

I think this winter I'm just going to pay and have it done. :meh: (Anywhere but Jiffy Lube!)
  14. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    yeah i have to agree with james.

$20 bucks for a ten minute oil changem plus they check and top off everything.
  15. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    +1 James, I'm a huge motorhead and do all the work on my vehicles myslef. I used to be a dealership tech back in the day. Anyway, I still go to Jiffy Lube for my oil changes, manly due to waste oil/evironmental considerations
  16. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    You think the oil filter in your truck was hard to get at, you should have seen the filter in my buddies late-80s volvo wagon. That was a fiasco.
  17. fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    keep the pan under when you are taking the filter off.
  18. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Big +1, but I watch them like a hawk!
  19. JazzBassvb

Aug 5, 2003
    There is only one thing: Depends what you drive.

The wife's CRV I will gladly let the dealer do for around $25 or so. Like Mike, the oil filter is in a really hard spot to get a hold on it without getting all messy and such.

Me, on the otherhand, drive a '97 Ford F-250 with the Power Stroke diesel. On average, an oil change for the beast is around $50-$60 at a shop/quick lube place.

I'll go to Sams Club, get my oil by the 6 gal case and to Walmart for 4 quarts and two oil filters and will pay close to that amount, and I get 2 oil changes that way.

The oil filter is very easy to get to that I can get a hammer and punch and stick a hole in it to drain it while the pan drains. Fill up the filter with 1 1/2 quarts of oil, spin it back on and fill up the crank case and I'm good. Takes me about 30 minutes or so and that includes greasing the various points.

But I agree, on smaller vehicles, it's worth my time to get it done elsewhere. Sometimes, it's just not possible.

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've read and heard way too many horror stories about quick lube places to trust them with my car any more. I used to do the same thing, but it's so easy to change oil on my Subaru it takes like 15 minutes including cleanup. That is, 15 minutes considering that I'm familiar with the car and it's easy on this one. The only shop I trust close to me doesn't charge $17 for an oil change.

Also, if I pick up the oil and/or filter while I'm out on other errands it means I can change the oil in my garage whenever I want instead of taking a chance that there will be people ahead of me in line at the quick-lube place. How many times did that 15 minute trip turn into an hour after all the waiting?

Mike, to stop splashing oil all over the place when you remove the filter, put newspaper or cardboard under it. I also use SuperDuck's method of loosening oit to drip mode and letting it go for a while into the pan. Both my car and my motorcycle have the filter set up so it's a splattery mess to remove. Worse on the moto but not by much.