1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I decided to learn keyboards, what should i be looking for when buying one?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vacume, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    I know its a good idea to have weighted keys, but Id also like a keyboard with cool synthesizer effects (I love synth keyboards) or just regular keyboard effects, would it be possible to get a decent keyboard for 500$ canadian or is that too low?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd recommend something very basic without any toys, bells, and whistles if you're just learning. On my synth, I spend more time getting the sound I want than actually playing. Avoid those distractions.

If you can find a Korg SG-1 or SG-1D, I would recommend them wholeheartedly. Heavy as hell, but sound great, especially run through a bit of chorus. Weighted keys, and very basic. It's my favorite keyboard.

3. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    To learn keyboards with, I think almost any keyboard would work, as long as it isn't one of those baby tools you find in supermarkets... :D

Roland RD-600 is a basic, full-length keyboard with decent sounds and weighted keys, probably perfect as a learning tool as well as gigging if you don't need a lot of synth sounds. They cost over 2000€ when they came out about 10 years ago but are nowadays much cheaper.

One option could also be to use a midi keyboard and a sound module.

4. When my missus wanted to play keyboard I went and bought her a Casio CTK-800.

It has all these cool learning modules that run you through lessons at whatever level you are at, it has a display panel to show proper fingering, a metronome to drill scales with, a tonne of synth sounds, a tonne of songs to learn along to etc etc.

I wouldn't know what someone NEEDED in a keyboard, but as an entry level keyboard this one has suited our needs OK.

5. Vacume

Vacume

Jan 11, 2006
    the problem is i LOVE synth effects and would most likely use it for gigging

6. yamaha E403 or higher
    thats what am just going for...

7. The question is, do you want a synth? Or do you want something that can do piano, horns, pads, strings, record, etc.? You sort of need to decide that. There are lots of decent workstations out there.

For synths, I recommend going old school. Moog, Roland, Korg. I love my Juno-60, all though I think prices have gone up a bit since I got mine.
    Check out this site to see more.
    http://www.vintagesynth.com/index2.html