Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I decided to post about "so"...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassyBill, Jan 25, 2006.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Has anybody noticed any examples of language usage that seem "quirky" or difficult to rationalise in TB posts?

Excuse me for being slightly technical for a moment; I'm asking about this because it seems to me there may be some interesting points to notice about the spread of language "memes" in a fairly local environment, right here in these forums.

For instance, has anybody else noticed how many thread titles or first paragraphs start with the word "so"? In a lot of cases it seems completely redundant. Is this a fairly new trend, has there been a recent increase in frequency, or has this always been the case? Is this usage more widespread here than elsewhere?

Just curious to know what you guys and girls think about it. Are any more of you out there interested in the "memetics" of this? Biology or philosophy students might even get a paper out of it. :D

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    So, I decided to do a search after I remembered a pretty similar thread from a little while ago.......

(The above improperly used ellipses are my pet peeve. I can't stand it when people use them in place of periods, making them sound they're stoned five year olds. "So, Ive been thinking I want to play guitar..... their's so many choices, tho.... and I know i don't want to turn my back on my bassist bruthas....... and one of my friends was like 'go ahead and do it', but i was like 'i have no money' lol...)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So what?

That's so last year!! :p

4. I am guilty of such transgressions.

so-rry.

5. So...

You exclude so's half-brother, sew from this discussion, when you know he is well able to keep this thread together.

He's not a knit-wit. :rollno:

Many people may needle you for this. :bag:

Mike :D

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Too... many... puns... head exploding...

7. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    But, I LOVE ellipses....:meh:

So?:mad:

:D

8. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

oh, man. awesome. :cool:

9. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Superduck, you are *so* right!

I must have missed that one... and it was started by JimmyM as well... (oops, sorry). By the way, on the earlier thread, Don't Fret wins the prize for the best post with "So, a needle pulling thread." Anybody ever read Douglas Adams' piece about "La, a note to follow so"?

Seriously, though, anyone into this memetics idea? How much stylistic transmission is there between posters on TB?

:bag:

10. Bruce Lindfield

I stick with what I said last time :

So...what's wrong with using this as as a means of attacting people's attention...?

If I was in a normal social situation and wanted to start up a conversation, I think it would be quite normal to say : "So, Jimmy - what have you been up to..." or "So Jimmy , been getting many gigs lately..." etc. etc.

That's normal every day language - why be "unnatural" just for the sake of variety?

I would be much more surprised if people started titling threads :

On the offchance that one...
    Mayhap..
    Perchance...

But this isn't a formal communication like a college assignment - it's TalkBass - this is the way people talk!

So - how many jokes that are told orally, start with "So"...

As in :

So, three men walk into a bar...

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    IMHO, this is retarded...

So, sue me!

12. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Bruce, if you reread my original post I think you'll see that I wasn't actually complaining about the usage or saying there was anything wrong with it (other than the fairly minor observation that it seems a bit redundant; if you read your "Jimmy" examples or your joke intro above without the word "so" I think you'll see what I mean).

If you'd like to know why I'm interested, it's because I've been reading a book by the philosopher Dan Dennett ("Darwin's Dangerous Idea") and it deals with, amongst other things, transmission and replication of "memes" (ideas, habits, styles, cultural artefacts, etc, etc) and how this works. I thought some examples on a forum like this could illustrate the concept pretty well. In fact, there were some interesting comments to this effect in the earlier thread that I unfortunately missed first time round.

Please don't see any criticism of other members in my post where none was intended. Not everyone posts here to start a row! ;)

13. Bruce Lindfield

And I am saying that I talk like I talk and I'm not going to change, just because of where it is, or what anybody else says!! :)

14. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    That's fine by me, Bruce. Nobody has asked you to change, as far as I'm aware. :meh: :p

15. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    No, but we're all hoping. :D

16. :D

17. I got the whole starting out a thread with "So..." from the theory that every good war story starts out like this:

"So there I was, no ****..."

I love using elipses improperly. That and ampersands and the schwa vowel sound.

18. It denotes a certain inflection that a period does not imply.

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Part of the problem is conveying feeling and intent...over the internet...as in...while talking to you, I may pause...and then continue on with my thought. Would most prefer to have the word "pause" written in everytime a pause is warranted? I think not.

The written word is powerful, but also can be taken out of context. Over the internet, on message boards in particular, most would type as if one were speaking. Clearly this contributes to the overall displeasure of those who prefer perfect syntax and grammar.

I, for one, cannot stand poorly constructed sentences in the written form, yet I tolerate far more when spoken. I think of message boards, like Talkbass, to be more conversational and I am more forgiving of typos and incorrect grammar...including the use/misuse of any keyboard character that may help get the point across. :)

My guess is there would be far less posts if everyone took the time to proof their posts for grammatical errors before posting...or worse yet, proofed them for content everyone will be pleased with.

20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    alright, i'm going to put this out there:

emily dickenson and gertrude stein used incomprehensible punctuation, even by modern internet standards.

let the flame war begin! :cool:

:p