Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so i did a music review for my school paper on the Jaco anthology...here it is

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt R Miller, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    if anyone is interested, i just finished writing this for my school newspaper. please remember that there is a space limit set for music reviews, so i couldnt get even half of what i wanted to say.

Music Review – Matt Miller
    Punk Jazz: The Jaco Pastorius Anthology

Punk Jazz: The Jaco Pastorius Anthology is a collection of works by the late John Francis Pastorius III. The two disc set is tracked in chronological order by release date, and lets you see the how the music of a genius progressed through his tragically short career. Three of the featured tracks have never been released. It starts off with a home recording of “The Chicken”, made by Jaco when he was 17. Not only did he play his soon-to-be-famous bassline, but he played and layered drums, guitar, and saxophone on top of it. From there it only gets better, with a previously unreleased version of “Amelia”, live in 1972 with Wayne Cochran’s C.C. Riders. Disc one also includes the radio hit “Birdland” during Jaco’s time with Weather Report, and closes with the title track, “Punk Jazz”.
    Disc two features Jaco’s second solo album, “Word of Mouth” in its entirety, minus one track - “Crisis”. It is closed by several live tunes by the Jaco Pastorius Big Band from the early 80’s, all of which feature incredible bass playing, among other things.
    If you happen to play bass guitar, this double-album is a must, no matter what style of music you play. I’d also recommend this album if you enjoy jazz in general, and I’m not talking about the kind you hear in elevators. I will say, however, that if you like to boogie down to “Hit Me Baby One More Time”, skip this - it’s too complex for you.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Great review, given the space limitations.:)[​IMG]

I need to get me a copy of that album!

3. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Great Job. I've got that 2 Disc Set downstairs in my music room right now. Very great stuff.

4. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    sounds good man!

5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

What he said!