so I did a search on Genz-Benz..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzmann23, Oct 16, 2002.

1. jazzmann23

jazzmann23 Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I found some pretty mixed responses. I'm In the market for a 410 and i'm leaning heavily toward Aguilar but i logged on the Genz-Benz site just to look around and i saw those XB2 series cabs and I thought they looked pretty cool. I would even consider getting the 610, the frequency response looked really good. Enough rambling, are the cabs any good? Anyone play them, I have a dealer locally so I could get a good deal on them or Aggie stuff.
  2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I think that you'll find the Genz Benz cabs to be quite good and an excellent value. That's especially true for the XB2 series cabs. Most of the people that I know who have tried them liked what they had to offer but some opted to go with another line. I've got three Benz cabs and I would like to get a few more of various configurations.
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've got a couple of their combos (the ML series) and have been happy with the quality and sound. The one thing I notice about their cabs is that to get the frequency response you've got to go with the XB series. And those are big and heavy. There's no free lunch so that's just the price to be paid for the tradeoffs they made in their design decisions (you know: frequency response, quality construction, cheap - pick any two).

I have seen some people who have had negative experiences (not ebozzz or me) and you've got to weigh the risks but I think I've seen negative experiences reported on pretty much every brand out there. So see what kind of positive vs. negative response info you find and see how your gut deals with it. A lot of the concerns can be mitigated if your local dealer will take good care of you - that's what I've got although he doesn't stock anything other than the Intro combos.
  4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i loved my xb 410, but it was too large for me. i had no way of transporting it and my gear....
  5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    What's up Craig! :) I don 't know that you have to go with the XB2 series in order to get good frequency response. I guess that it all boils down to what you're looking for. As for me, the standard series cabs that I have are working out just fine for me. Oh, I want those XB2s but I haven't found my deal yet. :(

I don't think that I would consider the Benz product to be cheap. Yeah, they probably do use some components that are lesser quality than other manufacturers but they don't necessarily sacrifice on performance. The prices are also kinda nice. ;)
  6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

My bad - I forgot to put in my response that

Hey Charles, good so "see" you again!

I forgot to put the following in my original comment:

"My frequency response comments are based on spec reading - real world satisfaction with sound may vary. Use your ears if you can."

I really did mean to put that in. And I mean "low cost" when I say "cheap".

I think that whether they are "cheap" or not depends on what you are comparing them to. I looked at getting the new 1x12 GB cabs and at my local dealer they would run me pretty much the same cost as an Aguilar 1x12 (not from him, he doesn't carry Aguilar - based on the mail order prices I've seen). And at least from the specs they don't quite compare in terms of performance (power handling, low end extension, etc.). But you've got to try them to see if they work for you and I'm unable to do that because while my dealer will order anything I want he doesn't stock much. But then again I think the Aguilars may be low priced to break into the market and prices may go up.

If you compare them to Eden and SWR they are "cheap" - if you compare them to something else (Rogue? Peavey?) maybe they aren't. But it depends on your evaluation of their quality. Maybe they are approaching Eden quality at Peavey prices? (I don't know the real prices of a lot of the stuff so this is just and example).

I forgot another factor - weight. I think the GB stuff is well built but it's aimed at cab performance and not low weight. I wish I could line up a Bag End 1x15 and 1x12, a GB 1x12 (they don't make a compact 15 any more), an Aguilar 1x12 and the Avatar compact 15s and 12s and compare them all in various combinations to figure out what cabs I want (I'm a bottom feeder so no EA, Epifani, Bergantino, etc. for me).

So my rule of thumb becomes something like:

weight, construction quality, efficiency, size, price, low end - pick 4 out of 6 ? Or something like that.

OK, there are a lot of design tradeoffs and I just wanted to point out that the XB2s look big and heavy to me. Kind of like how the Eden 210XLT (which was a "hot cabinet" a while ago) is "so much out of a 2x10" but the things a honking 70 lbs or something like that. Some 4x10s don't weight a lot more than that.
  7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's what I feel. Their cabs are very good to me when you consider the performance to cost ratio. Speaking of cost, if I'm not mistaken the Benz 112 lists for about $399.00. What did that dealer in you area want for them?

The XB2s are a little hefty and you make very good points with your rules of thumb. I've never been able to try the cabs that you listed you wanted to compare. I share your curiosity as to the outcome of such a test. I'm a bottom feeder also who is just trying to do the best that I can with what I little I have to work with. ;)
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - I've played the bass for more years than I care to admit. While the Genz Benz cabs I used were just what the concert promoter provided on a couple of occasions, I was impressed BIG TIME.

Admittedly, the other bassists and me were using a good preamp and a nice power amp that weren't GB's. Plus the GB's were their "better product line." Still, I've played a lot of fine stuff and the Genz-Benz's never farted on me. I have ultimate respect for them.

Very fine cabs for a decent price that will never leave you embarassed, at least their premium line stuff.
  9. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

His price list had the 12 at a higher list than that (I can't remember exactly what it was) and the discounted price-to-me was about $399 (same as an Aguilar 12 from MF). This guy has been very reasonable on price, when I got my ML200-112t he, without my having to work on him, offered it to me at a price less than the MF price for the same thing.

I wonder if he was looking at a price on one of the combos instead of the cab-only? I was looking at trading in my ML200-112T and it would have been pretty much a straight trade for the cab - and I'd just take the head out of the combo and use it as a cab for that. He also doesn't have any info on the PA speakers and didn't know they offered them. So he's a good guy but not 100% on top of everything (it's primarily an acoustic guitar shop). I figured that GB had just raised their prices with the cab redesign and switch to the new distributer.
  10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    There may have been a price increase but I don't know that it was that drastic if it indeed happened. Contact Jason at Drum City-Guitarland. It probably wouldn't be worthwhile for you to order from him with the added cost of shipping but you can at least get a quote to see if what you were quoted is typical. I know that in the March edition of BP the 112 was listed as being $399.00. Summer NAMM could have changed that.
  11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    You're right! Those XB2 series cabs are pretty hot. The Standard or Live Series, as it's now called, isn't chopped liver though. ;) :)
  12. I actually had the 6x10 cab for a while. The only reason I got rid of it was that it took up too much space. My band's equipment mostly travels in a Ford Ranger. The G-B 6x10 stood up over the top of the cab and caused too much drag. It was a phenomenal cab that got better the louder you turned it up. If I had the space, I'd get another one in a minute.
  13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Haven't had the opportunity to use their lower end series, ebozz. All I know is that their upper end cabs let me feel my bass through my feet like something was lifting me up and got butts on the dance floor.........I can't ask for more!

Fidelity be damned ---- it ROCKED HARD!!!
  14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    :D :D Never heard a description like that before but it's true!
  15. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I've used Genz cabinets for about three years now. I think they are wonderful sounding. Very transparent!! I assume if you have a crappy bass or rig you would be able to tell with these cabinets. All I have now is an XB 2x10. I'm about to get a 1x15 and a 1x12 so I can mix and match. The XB has higher wattage speakers now. I'll bet they sound great. I also have an Epifani 4x10. The Genz cabs sound just as good as the Epifani. Just not a colored. What is the price difference in the Aguilar and the Genz Benz??