1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So..I didn't use pedalboard at band practice

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iamdenialNJ, Apr 9, 2010.

1. and for once I felt kind of relieved of not messing with a bunch of knobs for a good 'tone'. I could actually concentrate on my playing rather than thinking when to press a pedal for a certain part of the song. I play metal so there's not a lot of room for effects on bass but I do use overdrive, compressor and delay for parts of our songs. I think I'm going to try and play with less pedals for my band and concentrate on the songs. Thanks for reading...:oops:

2. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    I'm a recovering effects whore.
    I'm about down to a PT-mini, but I could definitely just see myself with Tuner, Chorus, M80.

3. kai_ski

kai_ski

Apr 14, 2007
    Wenatchee, WA
    IMO, tone is the sound that comes from your bass, good technique, and expression. If you have those things your effects & amp can be used to accentuate them.

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    +1

More over the crazier the effects the more important this is if you want any kind of control over what you are doing.

5. + 2

6. Effects shouldn't slow you down, they should help. Otherwise they don't make sense at all.

7. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    Man... I'm torn between more effects and fewer effects.

8. SGS

SGS

Mar 21, 2010
    I feel the same way. When I played guitar I had 3 pedals - a DOD Metal X, DOD 11 band EQ, and a wah. The Wah didn't get used a whole lot, but the Metal X and EQ were always on.

Now after 2 years of playing bass I'm looking for something to tweak my sound with. When I do find what I'm looking for it will end up being an "always on" effect.

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    We have a rule at band practice - 10 minutes twiddling at the beginning and then noone touches any settings until we're done.

10. G0rilla

G0rilla

Feb 1, 2008
    Latvia, Riga
    Making ears bleed since 1989
    Effects should be only to expand your creativity, not to just "make effect". Sometimes it really feels like there is too much on my board, that i cant use it all, and indeed it only distracts me from my main task - adding bass to overall sound. But, sometimes i can find something special with just messing around with all these knobs and switches. When i feel something is missing, or not right, i can always ask guys to play the part again, close my eyes and imagine, what i want to hear, what is missing, and then my trusty boxes come into game, and i am trying to get from them what i hear in my head. But always the first is just clean bass line.

The fact is, you have to know your boxes (and what they are capable of) better than what`s in your pocket. You should spend hours with them, learning how to get sounds, and what sounds you can get. It always helps, and every time you know, what you want to hear, you know, how to achieve that.

11. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    HAHA! I gotta remember that :)

12. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    There should be a club for that. I'd join. :)

I went overboard and had a PT Pro totally loaded, PLUS a rack of gear on top of it. I was spending more time buying, selling, and dinking with effects than playing my instrument.

I'm finally down to a single BOSS SE-70 rack multeffects and optionally a laptop in my effects loop in the off chance I finally find an electronica project that can use beat synced filters, audio tracking synth, and fun stuff like that.

But I've really regressed (not in a bad way, haha) down to just clean bass, and punching in some overdrive or fuzz occasionally via a simple 2 button footswitch to toggle the BOSS. And I couldn't be happier.

13. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    It's always a good idea to do a gig or rehearsal straight to the amp from time to time. It helps re-calibrate your ears & gives you the best sense of how your rig is 'responding' to what your hands are doing. Plus, you get to make sure that you're not relying too heavily on a pedal to "fix" things that don't necessarily need to be "fixed" (sonic maximizers, always-on compressors, etc...).

14. I've been on a "no effects" thing for years now. I used to use distortion, wah, compression, octive pedal, EQ and whatever else. Now it's nothing, or maybe some grit with the Sansamp RBI, and that's it. No pedals.
    I have been thinking about building a new pedalboard, and dusting off the pedals. But I'm not too sure. I kind of like just getting all the tone I need from my fingers. Plus it's nice not to have to lug that stuff around. I hate faulty gear too, and it seems like all of my pedals have some quirk to work through. The last thing I need to think about at a gig is some short in my loop.

15. wetzelman1

wetzelman1

Feb 12, 2009
    I play metal and recently upgraded from a b2r to a SVT 2 pro. Realized I didnt need pedals to sound good anymore and now only have the BBM and tuner on my board. (and aphex xciter, but just as a di for backup)

but I might add a chorus, and whammy, and overdrive....crap.

16. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    +1 to this, I was on a run of adding more and more sounds to my arsenal until one gig where the cable running from my board to the amp got stomped on and died in the middle of our first song - I quickly pulled it and plugged directly into my amp, made a quick guess at my eq settings...and received more compliments afterwards about my sound than I'd ever had in my life. I attribute this to focusing strictly on my playing and not worrying about when to hit what pedal.

17. I'll do a little noodling around with stomps at home, but seriously I don't take more than the Markely PT-13 and maybe the LMB-3 plus a couple of latching switches for the built-in Notch and Standby in my combo.

When I played guitar, I was in a surf band and some rock thrown in. I needed lots of Reverb and delay and some chorus/flanger once in a while, but I have a head that has these as legacy installed DSP/EFX in it, so the stomps were really pretty unnecessary. OK - I yielded to a Crybaby for those special times and could use it as a filter, but that's as far as I went.

Maybe I'm getting older and just don't like humping the stuff around with power cords, jumpers and such - or maybe I'm playing with my head and fingers more.

I still have all the stomps I originally owned - I never sell or trade things as I find once they are owned, they become mine and that's that.

In spite of the fact that I don't use much with my bass in the way of effects - I admire those who do use them and can generate a good sound. That's the problem as I see it: 'good sound' should not be elusive and then compensated for by electronics.

If you ain't got it, don't try to hide under a board of effects that mask lack of inabilities and finger-intonation. The bass should be your friend, not something that needs electronic correction.

18. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    Went through the pedal board phase, chorus, Keely compressor, Boss Octave OC3 etc. Now back to the way I started, bass and amp with only my tuner in the middle. Get more compliments on the sound than ever.

19. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I haven't used any effects other than a tuner pedal for 5 out of the 6 years I've been playing bass. But this past year I've been itching to try a lot out. I've sold a few, right now I'm using a EBS Multicomp, Serrano Piccoso, and M80 but have yet to use them outside of my room. I'm just too lazy to carry them to the studio on the train and go through the hassle of setting them up and finding the right EQ.

I'm gassing for a MXR 74 Phaser and a EHX Bass Big Muff right now but I think I'm going to have to sell the serrano first. I'm not into large chains of effects and I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up using the second channel on the M80 as a boost.

20. So..I didn't use pedalboard at band practice

Yeah, I did this once...for about 30 years. It forced me to utilize some other tactics to improve the way I sounded, like practicing and playing more. :D