Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I ended up with 2 volume knobs.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ardorx, May 18, 2005.

1. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I have a Fender Precision bass and I put EMGs in it. They are active. Somehow I ended up with 2 volume knobs, Has this happened to anyone else?

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Did you wire them yourself or did they come pre-wired? Send them back, I'd say.

-Eric.

3. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I did it myself but I did this on my jazz too. but they ended up working fine. so i don't know...

4. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Not to hijack the thread, but if you don't mind me asking, where did you order your EMGs from? (not related to your problem, I'm just looking for an online shop that sells them :) )

5. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    It happens to me all the time! Find a good schematic of the wiring if you haven't already, and make sure everything is hooked up right, because if you have two volume knobs something is wired wrong. You may have wired the J pickups in series rather than parallel, which is what you do for P pickups, but not if you want two separate volume controls on a J.

6. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    invisi... i got them free with some store credit at a local shop, sorry. and the clap; you're a smart man. i'll have to check that out. i already tried to re-wire it at school and it still didnt' work ( i'm in electronics II) for now, i think i'm going to put my stock pickups back in my P B until i have some free time. my band leaves for tour on the 30th.

myspace.com/ardor

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

FWIW:

EMGinc.net (or .com maybe - the EMG site) has wiring diagrams. You can't drop the EMG's into a stock passive Fender harness cause the pots and jack (maybe cap too) are probably incompatible to my knowlege. The standard harness for EMG's is vol/vol/tone (with a cap it seems), all 25K audio pots for two pups. So you'd just drop one vol for a single. You also have to have a stereo jack instead of the passive mono jack.

To my knowledge, you still shouldn't have got two volumes if it's wired correctly - if the bass has a stereo jack.