Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so i finally got a call back from the bass tech...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Apr 15, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    he looked over my p-bass. said, i hear what you are talking about, but there is nothing wrong with the bass. i took it all apart, checked out everything. there is nothing defective about the bass at all. he said my ears are just sensitive.

he said, im hearing the oscilation of the note. the note is in, then for a split second its out then back in. he said going to a heavier guage string would most likely solve it, but there is nothing more that he can think of.

i'm going to pick it up tonight. play it at practice and go from there.

i dont know, i've never heard this "oscilation(SP?)" on any other bass i've owned. ugh.

2. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    maybe i should get a second opinion?

3. I have no idea what you are talking about. Is this related to another thread somewhere?

Could you perhaps record an example?

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I hear and feel the oscillation when comparing the tuning with harmonics of fretting the open string's notes on another string, if the bass is not tuned in properly. But if there's no other string in vibration, there shouldn't be any oscillation.
    I have no idea.
    On which string was it?

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    e string only. only on the open e note.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174115 here is the link that started it all. i printed it and brougt it to him. he said it wasnt any of those things.

6. Changing the string gauge will surely change the strings vibration a little bit. I don;t know if that will fix the issue. I would try it first and then get a second opinion if it doesn't help.... IMO of course.

7. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    This is just a guess, but your bass may have a chamber that is tuned right near the freq of E. Assuming only the electronics compartment is big enough, maybe sticking something in there to reduce the volume and thereby the tuning. It's easy, it's cheap and it might as well work... or not...
    Or maybe the E-strings freq (40 Hz) is near the self-freq (is this that in English?) of a part, making it vibrate, also...

Of course these are only guesses

8. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Do what i did with a weird rezonance on my old P. Buy a fatfinger.

9. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Make sure you wind the string from the hole in the post to the base of the post on the headstock. This will give the string an angle off of the nut. I had that funny sound on my jazz bass. the E string and B string would play as E or B respectively but there was this phantom note comming from the headstock. Because the string angle was too flat the plucked note would vibrate the string from the nut to the tuning post. The made an out of phase phantom note.

My solution was to wind in the middle of the tuning post to the base of the tuning post to increase the angle off of the nut and consequently isolate that part of the string from the rest of the string.

Hope this helps.

danman

10. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    See, I guess I'm upset to the fact that this is a 5 month old instrument(I forgot I brought back the original one I bought for this one) and I shouldn’t be having any problems where I need to buy a fat finger, or really anything.

I guess it's more that I'm irritated at the fact that there is "nothing wrong with my bass" but there is. Maybe I'm just nuts.

11. Their is another condition that can cause this and that's a string that is twisted along it's axis. This can cause all sorts of weird oscillations when it's vibrating and could cause just this sort of thing.

It might not be the gauge change but the string change alone that does the trick.

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    see i get over to the guys shop. after having to walk 3 blocks because there was police blocking off the road. all sorts of bs. i get their, i see my bass, i try it out. not a friggen sound what so ever. i'm like, i thought you said it wasnt better? and he said, "uh, uh uhhhhh i tweaked some stuff, uhhhhhhh, uhhhhh." and i played it at practice. perfect, best its sounded in a long time. i dont know what he tweaked, nor did he say, but it made it play perfect. so i'm happy for now. untill next time.

13. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    see, i dont think it "just needed a set up".

two dude set it up before and it would happen, then it wouldnt.

this guy tweaked some things, and now its fine. so oh well, until it happens again.

14. So this guy set it up properly then :p

15. Did the guy put a new set of strings on your bass? Were you still using the original strings?

Chris

16. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ugh, NO. the guy before him, set it up perfectly. when i got the bass home, it didnt have any wierd noises until i changed the strings. then it came back. so it had nothing to do with the set up.

and they are the same strings.

17. I heard the same exact thing on my Tribute.

Turned out it was just the strings. After switching from to a better set (Same guage I think), it went away.

Was yours on the A string? Thats where I heard it for open notes, and it drove me insane for about a week.

18. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    no E string, but it happend on 3 different kindas of strings.

19. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Maybe the tuner? My teacher has a bass where the tuner buzzes - but as it is his stay-at-home, fiddle-aroudn-on bass, he doesn't care ;)