So I finally got a decent setup and.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by d_rock211, Apr 3, 2003.

1. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    I am running an SWR Workingman 2004 (200 watt peak @4 ohms) through an Eden D210T (4ohms, 250watt handling). And before anybody says anything: for my funding, ability and needs, this setup is me, I'm still looking forward to the day when I can afford much nicer gear.

Now, my question is this:

What exactly is the limiter doing? And secondly, will it hurt my cab if I disable it.

Yes, I did a search: found nothing that was useful. Yes I contacted SWR and haven't gotten an answer in four days (maybe I'm impatient).

The preamp clipping light doesn't come on ever (maybe once in a great while), but the limiter light does come on quite frequently. My assumption is that it is to simply keep the volume at a certain level to keep the speaker itself from overdriving/sounding like crap/damaging itself, as opposed to the preamp clip which will deliver spikes of way to much wattage to the cab.

Any techies out there willing to give me a little insight? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. You seem to understand the basic idea of the limiter. It comes on to prevent power amp clipping, which is potentially damaging to your speakers. Basically, it cuts off the level of the signal leaving your amp at a certain threshold. With some amps this threshold is adjustable, but I would imagine with your setup it probably isn't.

It won't necessarily destroy your cab if you disable the limiter, but it's more likely. Running with or without the limiter is also a tone issue,with it engaged you'll get a much cleaner sound and a more distorted sound with it bypassed.

The preamp clipping light comes on when too hot a signal is delivered to the preamp section of your head, probably causing some distortion. The preamp level feeds the poweramp, so if a spike or input signal clips at the preamp when running at high volumes this will be negated by the limiter.

A good rule of thumb is to run the preamp gain at a level just below clipping and then adjust your master volume to get more juice being pumped out.
  3. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    Thanksfor the help. I only run it that loud during practices, most venues have me miked so it isn't really an issue. I'll give it a shot without the limiter at tongihts practice and see if there is a big difference in the sound.
  4. I'm in the same boat with running louder at practice than at gigs. When I'm mic'd at shows I usually setup at a volume when the limiter will only occasionally engage, but if I kick up the boosts on my actice p/ups then I can get some nice preamp overdrive if I want it. This seems to be the best option tone wise for me, but that's all about personal preference.