Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, I finally got into Bass NW today

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Family went up to Seattle and just dropped me off at Bass NW for an hour or two.

I must say, for the first 30 minutes at least I was in awe of all the bassy goodness around me. When I finally got the balls to ask to try something, the people there, Chad especially, were incredibly nice and knowledgable. I truly felt unworthy playing in there.

First things first, I went looking for my Ibanez BTB 405QM.

Found it, played it, had a discussion, had a setup done on it, still didn't like it much for some reason.

I was going to leave when I spotted a Sadowsky. Now, I had heard hype, and had always figuered "meh, another Jazz bass, how good could it be"

So I asked to give it a go. Chad was reluctnat (who could blame him, giving a Sadowsky to a 15 year old) but plugged me in.

I must say, I am compltely 200% blown away. The second I become obscenely rich, Im buying a Sadowsky. I must own a Sadowsky. I have seen the light, and it's still calling my name.

That has to be one of the nicest basses I have ever played.

I just got up and left after that, Im still breathless from playing that bass :( Wish I was rich *sigh*

http://www.bassnw.com/New Exotic Basses/sadowsky_standard_4_st.htm

2. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    A guy from San Francisco came in to play around while I was there as well.

He worked some incredibly magic on the Lakland.

http://www.bassnw.com/Used Basses/lakland_deluxe_494_sunburst.htm

I felt too noobish and embarassed to touch, much less ask for that guitar afterwards.

This has to have been one of the most humbling experiances of my life. Heh.

I LOVE BASS

3. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    ah yes.......touched by the bass bug ! :cool:

Enjoy the lust known to all as GAS.

Fear not youngster....for it will never cease !! :)

PJR

4. Yes, I'm about three hours away from Bass Northwest and haven't made it there yet. One day...but I think I'll have to leave all of my money, credit cards, and ID at home, to prevent any uneeded purchases.... ;)

5. I don't think that many full grown adults could have stayed as composed in that store as you did.

6. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Yeah I've played that Sadowsky too - it truly is amazing. I own a Sad Vintage 5, but there's just something about that particular standard that's at Bassnw right now that is more than just your norm. It's easily the best feeling sadowsky i've ever played...

Chad is the man!

7. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Hear hear. Chad rules :D

But I probably wont be going back there for a few years, where I wont embarass myself as much.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice noober!

i've been meaning to visit BNW too, but its hard trying to find time to drive out from NYC... ;)

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Joker....drive to BC, it's closer, and it's cooler. I mean, Bass NW is really cool, but it's just not quite as cool as Bass Central. And, of course, BC has that lovable nut Gard....well, maybe not so lovable. :D

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Man.. I really wish I were closer To bass central.... I really want to take a trip down there.. but I don't have the money for hotel lodgings...

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I make it a point to fly up to BNW at least once a year...some people take vacations to Civil War battlefields or Stevie Ray Vaughan's grave...I go to Bass Northwest!

12. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    I want to go to that place so bad

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Do what I do...make a "trip" out of it...plenty to see & do in Seattle....plan it around a concert (Evan Sheeley and & I always go to see Cheap Trick together when they play Seattle), have some of the world's best seafood at the fish market, go to all the blues clubs in Pioneer Square (1 cover charge gets you into 10 different clubs), spend a day (or two) at the Experience Music Project at the space needle, set up a visit to Mike Lull's shop and bring along a bass that you may want him to work on, see a Seahawks game at their brand new stadium and spend an afternoon at BNW....makes for a great vacation!

Seattle rocks!

14. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    That it does, but I had no clue Mike Lull was up here? Very cool indeed.

15. natebass

natebass

Sep 6, 2001
    Bremerton, WA
    Lull's in Bellevue, which means he's only 7 hours away from Seattle, or only 3 if you walk - just gotta love that Seattle traffic!!!

16. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I so completely take it for granted that I live in Seattle. Bass NW is a mere 20 minute drive (when it's not rush hour) from my house and Mike Lull's shop is that close as well.

I've known Chad for years. Nicest guy you'd ever want to meet, a helluva bass player, and he's done more favors for me in the past than I'm really good for. HUGE props to Bass NW and all the wonderful kids that work there.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    beermonkey, dood, you totally suck!

:p;):D

18. Yea im a short 20 minute busride away from BassNW as well, got my bass/case from Gabe tho. Didn't realize it was such a famous/popular place.

19. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I usually make a pilgrimage up to see Aaron, Gabe and Chad about every month and a half.

Aaron never forgets me but he shouldn't as I've spent quite a few sheckles there over the past few years. They were busy as all get out several weeks ago when I was there as Gabe was out, on tour and had been so,for awhile. I get to play any bass that I want, which doesn't help the GAS. It is a bit intimidating to noodle around because they are all really great bassists. I do wish that they had a few sound rooms.

I always search Gabe out for his honest, down to earth opinions. Gabe's opinions are alot like the great opinions that you get from our great buddy, Gard, at Bass Central. I have come to trust these two guys more than anyone I've come across in the retail end of bass. They never seem to have an agenda.

The boys there make no bones about saying that they all pretty much play their gigs with a Bag End S15 cab. Probably one of the least expensive cabs in the shop.

It's just like a candy shop. I wish that we had something a fraction as cool down in Portland.

20. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The "I Work At Bass Northwest Rig" is generally 2 Bag End S15 cabs and an Ashdown ABM 500 or ABM 900 head. I believe everyone who works in the store has that setup now.