1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I FINALLY got to try a nash...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Well, if you've seen my posts, you know i'm a sucker for beaten up basses / relics.

First thing! I saw it on the wall, when I walked in. This store usually has crappy ibanez basses ( like the really low end ones) and other 100-200 dollar basses.
    THEN THIS NASH JAZZ BASS WAS SITTING THERE.

I wasn't expecting it. So i took it down, plugged it through some bizarre ampeg amp, which has like like...2x8 speakers and another cute little ampeg head.

Anyway, about the bass. Didn't weigh a ton. It's a feather compared to my Conklin, but a tank compared to my squier. So it was a decent balance. I found the control knobs a little stiff. Maybe it's part of the relicing process, but maybe it would just take a little lovin to get moving.

The pickups felt weird. I play over the bridge pickup, and my fingers kept hitting the pole pieces. But, hopefully they're adjustable.
    The neck was a bit chunky for my liking. But, it'd be something I could get used to.

The tone was great. I could get a good slap tone, I could dial in a good jaco tone, and a really warm fingerstyle tone as well.

Only thing, this amp was a bit wonky. I had the bass at 10 to get a decent tone out of it.

I'm seriously considering purchasing this. It's $1,400. Is that a good deal for a new Nash?

Anyway, I'll let you guys know more about it when the time comes!!:hyper::hyper::hyper:

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Sure does seem like its got lots of negatives.

I would take some pics, and let the Nash guys make sure its even realy, Mark. You dont want to pay for a fake Nash, esp. that much cash.

It sounds awesome though. The negatives could be fixed pretty easily.

And this is a decent price, IIRC.

3. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Hey Mod Mark, I'm sure that I've seen them going for much more on THE LOWEND BASS SHOP website, and I know that Brian's prices are among the most competitive out there. Check out some of his sold Nash basses, and see if the relic markings are similar.

4. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    There weren't much negatives. Just differences from what i'm used to.

I'm coming from playing a Squier P-bass with a super thin neck, a fretless jazz bass with loose pots, and a Conklin GT7 haha

But, I appreciate the concern Jordasch!

And, Im on Brian's website right now!!

5. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Anytime Mark.

I can handle your free internet fails, but I would feel terrible if you paid $1400 for a fail..

Know what I mean?

:D

6. I concur. ;)

Out of curiosity Mark, did you replace the neck on the Squier or sand it down? My Squier P seems to be quite comfy and thick. :confused:

7. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I have a Squier Affinity P-bass. Pushing 9 years old now.

But, I bought a neck here. It's a 1991 Squier p-bass neck. '62 RI.
    Doesn't fit perfectly (I can only get 3 out of the 4 neck bolts in there) but the thing plays like butter!

Don't get me wrong guys. After dabbling with the Nash for about 10 minutes, it became more comfortable! it's not like I hated it.
    Plus, I would NEVER buy a bass if it didn't feel right.

8. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    My Nash had some setup issues but the hardware is beefy and the acoustic resonance is really great. Even with worn-out Elixir's it sings out like no other J bass I've ever laid hands on.

I got the frets filed, rather aggressively towards the end to compensate for a weak truss rod. My neck does seem a tad chunky compared to a lot of Js. If these things are part of the price for that crazy tone... I'm OK with it. The Jazz solo range above the 12th fret still isn't quite as dynamic as I'd like but the money range is just awesome.

Mine came with the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz, which sounded super delicious in a modern, ear-candy sort of way. I swapped in some good single coils (Antiquity IIs - took 10 minutes) and am really enjoying the hot-rodded, but more raw, vintage character.

The thick action on the volume knobs sounds right. If it's got the beefy rusted (but still functional) vintage style hardware, if the back of the neck hasn't been sprayed with the vintage tint, if there's sharpie markings near the tip of the head stock... and if the thing sings like a freak'n canary... it's probably a real Nash. ;)

9. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I'm not worried about being a fake nash at all. But I'll check for the pencil markings.

The store is an authorized Nash dealer ship, and says so on the website!
    Here's a (small) pic of the bass!

[​IMG]

I only assume 60'2 means '62?

10. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    This could be a little pre-Graduation present to yourself.

It looks awesome, I wont lie.

My dad is a vinyl cutter. I could get him to make a nice, big, black FAIL! to put on the upper horn? :D

11. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    haha

Maybe I'll put "Fail" instead of "Fender"

12. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Why would you put Fender, Mark. Its a Nash.

Fail.

13. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    mmm... Lake Placid Blue

homerdrool.

I think the dealer's description is a little off - a '62 replica would probably have stacked knobs (probably had the receptionist type that in :p)

I think the model designation says it better. JB63... Jazz Bass '63.

Not that any of these are 100% faithful to their supposed model year.

14. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Why would I put Fail? It's a Nash.

Win.

Yea, good point!

Regardless, I loved this bass.

So, is $1,400 a good deal? It's Canadian, obviously.

15. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I'd love to see a Fender-style "Fail" decal. I'd put that on mine!:D

16. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    $1400 CDN sounds pretty good - that's about $1150US. I did $1225 USD for mine on TB. Bass NW did one used for $1350US. Think new they used to go for $1700US.

17. I've played several Nash P basses and they were all great. I prefer their P necks over the current Fenders. Also, IMHO, the pups they use, Dimarzio's, Fralins or Lollars have more punch and better sound than the stock Fenders. I don't know if it makes any difference but they seem to have a much more pronounced unplugged, resonant sound as well. Maybe it's the Nitro finish?? Lastly, I much prefer the feel of the worn finish he applies to the back of the necks.

I'm not all that into Jazz basses so it would be hard for me to compare them.

18. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    True.
    I loved the feeling of the neck.
    Around the 12th fret, it still had some of the vintage tint finish on it, but the rest was worn down.

Beautiful!

19. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Touché Mark, touché.

I might get my dad to mock up a Fender type decal, but say FAIL!. His link is in my signature.

Im happy for you Mark. IT sounds like you really like this bass. I say go for it. Just drag it behind your car when you pick it up, to get some more relic action. :D

20. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    hahah
    How do I know if these guys are ripping me off?!
    What is this is a USED nash? ;)

lmao