Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I finally played a Dirnt sig. Actually Dirnt's sig!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by greendayjustin, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Last night I saw Green Day in Las Vegas. If any of you are familiar with their sets, they play an Operation Ivy song called "Knowledge", and have one audience member come up and play guitar, one for the drums, and one that plays bass. I was in the very front, so Mike Dirnt easily spotted me out. Next thing I know a roadie lifts me up and throws me on stage. Then Mike gives me his bass and teaches me the song real fast...only three notes, no problem.

Holy crap, it felt so amazing to play bass out of such an incredible rig. A Fender Custom Shop Dirnt sig., and 3, yes 3 Fender 8x10's.

Playing in front of 5,000 people was definatly one of the best experiences of my life.

2. so sounds awsome man. really cool

3. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Cool, you didn't happen to tell Mike Dirnt about talk bass whilst you were up there did you? Nah just joking mate, sounds like you had fun, not everyone get's to try the Dirnt P-Bass in front of 5000 people and use his personal one.

4. Gee, too bad you didn't get to do anything exciting, huh? It must have been the thrill of a lifetime!

5. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Too cool!! What an awesome time that must have been!! :bassist: :cool:

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    oh man, i saw them on pop disaster in '02 and i wished like hell that i had GA instead of cheap seats. that's so cool

7. lenorules1950

lenorules1950

Aug 20, 2004
    Meriden, CT
    That's awesome. I've heard of them doing that before- I think the next time they come around here I'll go check 'em out, if only to give Dirnt props for creating such a killer bass.

8. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    When I saw them here at the HFStival they pulled a kid up on stage to play guitar in front of 20,000 or more people. That made that kid's life. I've always had a lot of respect for them since then. That's really cool that you got to do that.

Mike

9. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    That sounds amazing!! you lucky ****!

10. when I saw them at the "Distortion '02" festival in Nottingham they did the same - dunno what song though (not really a green day fan) - but WELL DONE man, U jammy git!

11. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    whoaa..
    did your heart stop??

12. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    what's the different between his bass and the mexican dirnt sig out there??

13. I saw em at Voodoo last year.. it was a pretty cool show, and when they finished Knowledge, Billy Joe gave the kid on guitar his Strat. The whole show was pretty cool, all old stuff, nothing from AI, and needless to say, the whole band was ****ed up.

14. The main differences between the Mexican model, and the CS model was the gloss finish on the neck, and the body was finished in nitro...I could see the paint worn on the arm contour. Oh yes, and the sound. Well maybe that was because of the 3 8x10's!

I was shaking so bad, I could hardly play!

15. I saw them recently in Vancouver, where they did the same thing.... when they called for drummers, about a thousand screaming guys raised their hands.... the call for bassists got maybe 20 people... of course i'm exaggerating, but still the proportions were interesting to see. :D

Unfortunately, wasn't on the floor, so I had no chance, but.... sounds amazing that you got to go onstage! Methinks I would have screwed it up (even just three notes!) with a whole arena howling in front of me... The whole show is quite the spectacle! Did they make the volunteer drummer do a stage dive?

16. about 5 months ago my mate was up on stage too! Great bassist and decided he would do a couple of slap fills MID SONG, the look on mikes face was hilarious! Mikes a great bloke! Ill hopefully be up on stage this november! wish me luck!

17. Yeah, the drummer dove off! I started just playing the three notes but when I got a little more comfortable I started playing the actuall song knowing it for years now. After the show so many people were coming up to me saying good job and I was the only one that knew what I was doing up there (the guitarist was an 8 year old kid that didnt really know how to play, but the drummer was actually pretty good). I felt like I was the least bit famous...It was rediculous.

18. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Wow! Thats cool! You know, you should check their website for people that might have pictures of you.

Sounds like a blast!

19. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004