So I finally tried some new basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheInsane, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Yesterday I went to a music store to try some new basses (as some of you know I am on a "new bass hunt"). I´m pretty sure I want a 5-string now. Anyway I tried these basses:

Ibanez EDB605 (

Actually I´m not sure it is this bass but thats the shape it had so I guess it is this one. Well I liked to play it and it wasn´t hard going from 4-string to 5-string with this one. But, it sounded kind of bad. The strings hit the frets and it just sounded horrible. I don´t know if that is because of the bass or because of my technique but it did not sound very good. They waned a little less than $300
    for this one I think.

I tried another bass which basicly had the same problem to I just can´t remember the name of it.

BC Rich Warlock 4-string:

I liked this one. It had a good tone to it. It was a four string though. And also it was kind of just like my bass I have now (when it comes to sound and "feel"). Allthough I will always have it in my head when they said it was a good bass but it is way overprised. You pretty much pay for the shape! $700

Warwick Corvette Standard 5 String:

I liked this one alot. It had a great tone and not the problem I experienzed with the Ibanez. The strings were closer than I am used to but once you got a hang of it it was really easy to play. The one downside I had was that the neck was so thick. It wasnt a problem for my left hand or anything but it gave the bass more weight on the left side so I was a little worried about how it would feel for my back and shoulder if I happened to play for a long time in a row. This was right under the $700 mark.

So what do you think? I lend towards the Warwick bass because it felt really great. As you know I play metal. Is this a good bass for that kind of music. I know I have to decide for myself but I just want other oppinions before I make my descission. In my last post Joe Nerve said:

"I'd say play everything often and then see which bass keeps calling you back."

Right now it is the Warwick one but I will go back and try it again I think to be sure.
  2. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Ask the store to do a set-up on the bass you decide on before you buy. This should take care of things like "strings hitting frets" and any other problems such as that.
  3. Ok I just might do that...

Post mostly made to keep the thread alive...
  4. Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    Go for the Corvette. I got mine yesterday and frankly I love it.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    It totally boils down to you and what you like, but out of the ones that you mentioned, I would take the Corvette hands down. Just keep on trying different ones out, and like was mentioned, the one that you keep going back to is clearly the bass for you.

Have fun.:)
  6. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The Corvette is the only acceptable selection IMO. You have correctly identified the downsides to the bass: thick neck, weight. These are surmountable however with time and a good strap. Tone makes up for a lot.
  7. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
  8. So I guess you guys also would take the Corvette huh? :) And this with a good strap. Do you have one special strap in mind? Before I have just entered the store and said; "the cheapest/longest strap you have, please". Hehe... Don´t know nothing about those kind of things so a little bit of help would be in place here.

And yeah, thanks for the replys.
  9. I'd go with the Warwick as well.

Peavey makes a nice strap that is long and has a padded shoulder. They are pretty cheap, too.