Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, I finally understand "the Stingray sound"...let's see pics!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Alright guys, I think I've found my new fretted bass. I played a Stingray 5 last year and left pretty unimpressed, but I played an SR4 yesterday and...well, nearly needed some new trousers! The playability, the shape, the look, THE SOUND! WOW! The fingerstyle was really nice, and I thought "You know, a lot of people say this is one of the best basses for slapping."

...I concur. Absolutely fantastic! Stunning! Beautiful! Punch, zing, zap, kapow! The spacing was perfect, the action perfect, and the sound -- perfect. Wow. I should have a black one with a black pearl guard, matching headstock, and maple board by the end of the summer, should I get a job at the Pizza Hut I applied to (my family knows the managers, I talked to the hiring guy last night, and my brother worked there for two years, so I'm *really* hoping.)

Now...let's see some Stingrays! Sunburst, white, teal pearl, whatever, let's see 'em.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    can i post my sterling? :< heh

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Ok...that's....acceptable.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    :) figured youd like the color
    [​IMG]

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Bad pic of my bad Burnt Apple 'ray. 'Till death do us part :bassist:

Attached Files:

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    [​IMG]

7. Looked at at Stingray 5 and a Sterling 5, then I looked at the Bongo. Loved 'em all, but the S.U.B was the one I could afford. Sounds like a Stingray, feels likje a stingray, costs a whole bunch less... oh, and the look is a little closer to my style as well. The aluminium pickguard is cool as hell.

So I slapped my money down. Now I'm just waiting for it to arrive. Should take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks because Québec is on the opposite side of the continent from California...

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sterling 5? Doesnt exist.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes it does. But the label says Stingray 5.:D

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :D

Mmmm, very nice. Nice colour choices on the Sterling, Figjam ;).

By the way -- does anyone understand why EB/MusicMan seems to constantly discontinue the coolest finishes?

11. I really reallly really don't like the aluminum gaurd... not to attack your stlye... it doesn't have the same warm classic look of a SR... i think it's kinda tackey... good sound though

12. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Because you didn't buy them enough :eek:

13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Mine's in here somewhere...

http://www.ernieball.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3413

14. [​IMG]

here she is, my precious..... :D

15. vometia

vometia Formerly cbh

Nov 1, 2003
    Oxford
    I won't pass up an opportunity to post my pair of Rays (again!)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Chris.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im definitely one to agree with you on that :p

17. Oups, sorry. I know there's no Stingray 5. That was just me hitting the wrong key. I had asked the goon at the store why they didn't make a 5 and he was characteristically clueless.It kinda bites my arse that there's only *one* Musicman dealer in Montreál...

As for the ugliness of the aluminium pickguard, I like it exactly because the SUB's less elegant looking than the Stingray. I find that the slightly industrial look suits my sense of style better than the 'Ray.

Of course, I might just be legitimising the fact that I still can't afford the extra $600 or so for the 'Ray I've been dreaming about for years...

What I'm concerned about is how different it felt than my trusty Washburn AB-10 4-string. I kept hitting the wrong string in the store, which was kinda embarassing, as I've been playing for about 18 years. I've never actually *played* a fiver before, so the feel kept knocking me off. Anyone got any ideas as to how long it'll take before I can use it in a gig?

18. Hope you enjoy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

heres a good Sterling:

[​IMG]

19. flak44

flak44

Nov 4, 2004
    Kent, UK
    Heres my lovely autumn red burst sparkle