Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I finished my Alder body in Bees Wax...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by needmoney, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Am I going to go to hell?

I'm going to use about 5-6 more coats. Is there any real problem with using only bees wax?

I've read threads and noticed the general consensus was to use oil then wax. I decided to skip the oil because I had some bees wax, and I'm trying to make this project as cheap as possible.

Also, I purchased a neck which is unfinished, the wood is very smooth and feels very comfortable, so will I be okay to just apply some lemon oil to the back as well as the fretboard?

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, not ot hell, but you may need even more money, to correct the mistake...

The problem is that while oil penetrates the wood, giving a deep seal, the wax stays on top.
    Bees wax is pretty soft and will wear off pretty fast, especially if the soat is thick (because there will be scratches where some surface grabs hold of the wax and pulls it off).
    What you end up with is a desperate need to rewax very often. For normal use, I say every 6 to 8 weeks.

Whether you must have a finish or not depends on the wood. A maple or ash piece must have a finish. A wenge can live on it's own oil. For example.

3. I recommend wax but it's Minwax Furniture wax not beeswax. They are completely different.

4. EDIT: Sorry I misread what I had. It was a special type of cabinet maker wax, not bees wax. Will this be any better? The first coat after a couple of hours seems pretty damn solid.

So will the back of the neck be okay with a sand and some lemon oil?

Keep in mind that this is an 'el cheapo parts bass that will probably never leave my home. This is just to see how I like fretless. I will probably get something further down the track if it floats my boat.

In other words, unless what I'm doing is going to cause serious short-term problems, then it doesnt' really bother me.

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Please spell out exactly what "wax" it is then you will get a better answer. Ever hear the saying "garbage in garbage out"?

6. Cabinet Makers Wax with Caranuba Wax

7. you could do the lemon oil thing on the back of the neck, but I don't recommend just lemon oil...it's much better to seal your grain with a tung oil or something...lemon oil is more of a treatment and cleaner, not really a good idea on maple...it will discolour severely over time if you put only lemon oil on it.