Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, I finished my URB this weekend

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by justBrian, Mar 3, 2003.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    It only took me about a month to finish. I started with 3/4 Scherl and Roth in 2 pieces-- the box and the neck. I contacted a local luthier (Dan Lawrence in Lee's Summit) about doing the work myself, and he invited me to come to his shop. he said I could use his tools and he would help make sure I did every thing right. We got the neck glued back into place-- it's aligned just right. Next came fitting the bridge. What an undertaking. I'd picked up an Eaubert (SP?) bridge blank-- very nice, BTW-- and did all of the fitting myself. I think I spent 4-6 hours on it. Well, we finally got it strung up Saturday afternoon. I put Thomasik super-flexibles on it-- and it sound wonderful :D. I played it off and on all weekend. If I get a chance, I'll post a pic-- she's a beauty.

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Well, I'm kinda proud of myself. :D ;) :D

3. Hey, congratulations. I would've replied sooner, but I thought you meant you completed your orb this weekend, and I thought you must be some kind of religious whacko. Then I thought maybe you meant you finished your herb, what a bummer. But now I know you meant you finished working on your bass fiddle, cool.

4. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks, man! No, no herb-- for better than 20 years. Now bourbon, on the other hand, I always keep in stock. :D

5. Post a pic, man!!

Is it a "slab," or did your build a box?

6. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm borrowing the camera form school-- pics tomorrow? We'll see. The bass was in two pieces-- just the neck (fingerboard atached) and the body. I didn't have to make anything unless you count fitting hte bridge. :D

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Here's a pic-- more tomorrow maybe. Bed now...zzz....:)

8. Sorry -- I thought you were building and electric upright.

Nice looking bass, BTW.

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Did you save any money doing it yourself?
    About how much?

10. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I bought the bass in pieces for $150. Then the other stuff-- strings and the tail piece came to about $150. The bridge would have cost $140, but I got it from a guy I know. So I've got a really nice bass for about $300? Cool, eh? I think I could sell this for $3K-- maybe. Not a bad investment.

Here's a pic of the bridge too.

11. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Good going! I love it when basses get brought back to life.
    BTW, haven't priced Aubert blanks lately; $140 seems pretty steep.

12. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I think they're getting kind of hard to find. $140 was msrp.

13. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Is there anything wrong with me? I mean I've been playing it every day since I brought it home. I jsut can't seem to keep my hands off of it. ;)