So.... I get this new cab right?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doodaddy, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I'm walking around Guitar Center minding my own business. Looking for deals (it's the Memorial Day Sale ;)) and I'm not really seeing any.

I look right by the counter a I see a SWR Workingman 4x10T cab. Anyway, it was a display model on their floor and the tweeter wasn't functioning. I got it for $100. Perfectly mint but for the tweeter. No, it's not the best in the world, but I love it and I don't think for that price it can be beat. :hyper:

But on to the question. I just changed strings (Sadowsky 5 String Flatwounds). Naturally they're not quite as bright. I'm guessing replacing the tweeter would help some? I might as well replace it to have the cab completely functional....

I took out the tweeter and all it said was "Le Son High Efficiency Tweeter". I can't seem to find much on the net about it... Any suggestions on a tweeter? :meh:
  2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Yes, fill the hole with automotive body putty, sand it down smooth, paint the repair area black, and you're done.
  3. Get hold of SWR and order a new tweeter.It should be under $20.
  4. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    very nice deal btw....
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No, order a new tweeter DIAPHRAM. That will be around $20. The entire tweeter assembly (plastic casing and magnet) will be around $75, and isn't necessary.
  6. you actually could do this, IF you also verify the xover doesn't cut hi freqs to the 10's. The 10's will reproduce some of the highs, more than you'd get if the xover is there and the tweeter doesn't work. Might be enough if you don't like the real crispy tweeter sound.

7. before you order anything, make sure the tweeter attenuation switch on the back is functioning properly. It could just be that the tweeter is turned off.
  8. Man! For that price, if you don't replace the tweeter, then that's just wrong! :eyebrow:

Cool find! :D
  9. ^^^^^^^^what he said
  10. In the Workingman cabinets the tweeter is a Leson piezo,not the Foster horn that comes in most of their pro line cabinets.SWR quoted me a price for the Leson a few years ago for a Workinmans 212 cabinet that was around 12 to 15 dollars for the tweeter.With the Foster you can change the diaphram but not the Lesons.Contact SWR to see how much the tweeters run now.
  11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

12. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    After I have puttied up the tweeter hole, I disconnect the wires from the crossover and run them direct from the input jack to the speakers. Most bass speakers respond up to 2.5 KHZ and some to 5 KHZ. This will cover up to 12 levels of harmonics above the fundamental tone. It works for me because I only want to produce actual musical notes with my bass. Now if you slap and smack your bass, to hear these percussive sounds you may need a tweeter to accuratley reproduce the clicking and clacking. :meh:
  13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That specification refers to on axis response and has little to do with is actually heard by the 98% of the audience that isn't on a direct line with the speaker. Dispersion seriously degrades when the piston diameter exceeds 1 wavelength. With a ten-inch driver/eight-inch piston that occurs at 1695 Hz. The situation worsens with multiple driver cabinets with drivers horizontally arrayed, as off-axis response is subject to comb filtering effects that become apparant when the distance between the acoustic centers of the drivers approaches 1/2 wavelength. In the typical 2x10 (or multiple thereof) with minimum center to center distance of ten inches severe comb-filtering off-axis may set in as low as 678 Hz, becoming more apparant with increasing frequency.
  14. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I had a 4x10 cabinet back in the late 60's loaded with JBL speakers. It's truly amazing that this cabinet put out massive mid and high frequencies, directly in front, far off to either side, and all the way to the back of an auditorium. These speakers must have been the result of some "lost" technology from the 60's. Incredible full range response that 100% of the audience could hear and with no tweeters. How in the world did JBL pull this off? The cabinet was a little too bright for bass, so I sold it to a guitar player who used it for many years with a Dual Showman head. When used for guitar, the high frequencies coming out of this bass cabinet could shatter a beer picture at 50 yards. Which reminds me. The response of most guitar speakers drops off drastically above 10 KHZ. Why don't guitar cabinets have tweeters? Wouldn't guitar amps and cabinets sound so much better with tweeters? I guess they don't care about their upper harmonics. :eyebrow:
  15. Joe.... we all know you don't like tweeters.... many of us do... why do you insist on posting on threads started by people who like tweeters and basically say that we shouldn't like tweeters :confused: :confused: :rollno: :rollno:
  16. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    You can use any kind of gear you like and you can make it sound however pleases your ear. But unfortunately, some reading this forum may get the mistaken idea that they "need" something they don't. Just because GC sells 30 different effects pedals for bass doesn't mean you "need" them. Just because some bass heads come with 20 knobs on the front doesn't mean you "need" them. Just because bass cabinets come with tweeters doesn't mean you "need" them. If you need a tweeter to get "your sound" then go for it. But for many players, a little common sense, and real world experience will tell you that you don't. :smug:
  17. Joey J

Joey J

Jul 12, 2005
    No they don't. Guitars use a lot of distortion and compression and that sounds sweet in the midrange but is bad news in the highs so no tweeters. Acoustic guitars are a different story, they run clean (like I run my bass) and so they use tweeters. Now do us all a favor Joe, have your tone the way you want to and leave the rest of us alone, and stop making attempts at technical commentary because you don't know anything about it and everytime you open mouth and insert foot that foot goes further down the gullet and sooner or later you'll choke to death on it and your neanderthal attitude isn't worth dying for.
  18. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Aren't you the guy building a bass cabinet out of a car sub-woofer?
  19. Thor

Well ...

... there is no need to be personal about this.

It is a tweeter fer crying out loud. No need to putty anything,
    if the guy doesn't want it, he can leave the dead one in and
    keep his resale value good.

There are as many tone opinions on this board as there are
    posters. And that is what they are, opinions. That's all.

If he wants to fix it, some decent and helpful suggestions
    are in order. Try to help the guy out with out making a
    Federal case out of this.

Give the poster a break already...

He's looking for info, let's try to be adult enough to give
    that to him without bickering about tone, and who likes what

Just a suggestion ... ;)
  20. Thor

That would be me, actually.

The project is here,
    originally published in Speaker Builder, Feb 1994.

The project is actually quite instructive in the use of electronic crossover design, driver selection and such, for those of us that are interested in learning those things by building, like me.

At the time, the Peerless driver was quite the little
    4 ohm gem in the Peerless line. Through corporate consolidation and merger, many highly regarded Peerless products have now been discontinued.

Sorry for the hijack. On with the thread.