Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I got a promotion...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mike_v_s, Jan 18, 2005.

1. ...and man, this job sucks. I work for a non-profit organization and was recently "promoted" into a new area of responsibility. Since it wasn't physically possible for me to work more hours or give me more responsibility, I 've been given a higher stress level. This is week #2 and I'm close to homicide.

Without giving up too much (small world, you know)... I work with and through dozens of people to get my work done. One of these people was not happy with a decision made recently in a group setting. Rather than articulating an opinion at the time, they waitied until all the balls were rolling and then phoned me with their concerns. During the course of our conversation (very amicable), I was "reminded" how connected this person is and how they had a hand in a previous firing. I could not care less, but it does serve as a reminder that this person CAN make my life hell.

Here's where I'm at:

1)Reversing the decision is not an option (what kind of supervisor would I be, anyway?)
    2)There is no compromise possible, this is an A or B problem
    3) y'all really can't help...I just need to complain. I've accepted the fact that this bridge is burned and, as a result, I may arrive at already burned bridges down the road. It's frustrating working with 40 year old children.

Mike

2. That sucks.

Hang in there; find the good things in your life at the moment and focus yourself with them. Being an inexperienced teen, I really can't give you much advice apart from that. :(

Good luck.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    What you need to do is this (IMHO, of course...):

1.) thank the person for airing their concerns.
    2.) Go on record with whatever governing authority that you've received these concerns, but point out that
    3.) since the ball is rolling, and these concerns were not given to you in the appropriate forum, there's nothing to be done at this time.

Your situation does suck, just stay above the line and don't let this idiot get you down. Cheers!