... so I got assaulted by a loony this morning ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Jan 4, 2005.

1. So did I originally. But it's "loonie", right? :smug:

2. [Shaggy] It wasn't me [Shaggy/]

3. I'd be tempted to believe that, except for one disquieting experience. In 1996 I was at a bar kickin' back with some friends and this dude who kind of looked like Corey Dillon with a big scar down the side of his face came in. He was begging for money to buy a beer and it's the bar's policy not to put up with that. I don't remember all what happened, he was sitting at the bar by himself when he started talking to me, eventually he got up put me in a headlock, was yelling some stuff- I do remember something about "Warriors" and crying, threw me down and walked out.

I saw him at the hospital 5 or 6 years later, he saw me and recognized me but I don't think he could place from where. I pretended not to notice him-if he hadn't been medicated who knows...

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Glad you're ok, but I must admit, I first thought this was a "The Qintar" type post... :eyebrow:

5. Stax

Stax

Dec 19, 2004
    Oaktown
    As noted above, you should seek a restraining order. You may need an attorney to help you, however. If that is not in your budget, you should call the county bar association and ask about legal aid services in the county.

If he is a resident of the half way house, he is likely on parole (and now in violation of the terms of that parole). If convicted of assault and battery, he is likely going back to the pokey.

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I'm glad you are ok.

My office is two doors down form a place called Team House in San Bernardino, CA. It's a place where wacky people go do crafts and what ever else they do. We are also around the corner from a another boarding house for the insane and we get them visiting every now and then

Every once in a while they will stray into our lobby or shop. Someone, usually me, has to tell them to leave because it's not safe for them to be here. They usually leave after telling us a story of space aliens or sex or whatever creapy thing they want to talk about and leave quietly. About one in ten flips out at me and wants to fight or tear up the shop or office. I have had to physicly throw one out of our office and we have called the cops on several occasions. Honestly I get so pissed at them that I just want to knock the guy out but they are insane and don't have a clue so you can't just pound them. That would be cruel.

There is one guy that yells and screams and picks fights with everyone on the street. I belive he is schitzo. I can't wait for him to drop in one of these days. The girls in the office are scared to death of him.

We even had a crazy/******** couple start to have sex in front of our office. (we are on a busy street) That was way weird. When I told them to leave they just ignored me. I did not know what to do so we called the cops. I had to explain what they were doing to the dispatcher while the office is laughing and trying not to vomit at the same time.

We have talked with the operators of Team House and they claim that the people they help there are not violent. We beg to differ with them on that but as it turns out they do try to screen them, and won't allow anyone with a violent criminal history go there. We will see whats pans out with yelling/screamming / schitzo guy.

We get no help from the Police. They do their job when we call them but there is really nothing they can do unless a crime / assault is commited. I suppose if we want to go to court we can but you know how that works. We just deal with it.

San Bernardino, CA is such a wonderful place...

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Crazy... crazy for feelin' so craaaazy.

8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I went to the court to seek a restraining order. As it turns out, they released the dude on a PTA with the condition that he has no contact with me.

The fact they released him on a PTA says to me that he isn't regarded as a danger by the courts. He was charged with Assault in the 3rd degree & Breach of Peace in the 2nd degree. He has to go back to court on 4-Feb.

He was granted a public defender so I can't imagine he has too much money. I also found out he lives about a block away from me in a small apartment complex.

I still think they guy is a loony (loony, loonie, whatever :) ) simply because he didn't say a damn word, and acted like nothing had happened afterwards. The only other people I saw him associate with before the police nabbed him were school aged children. The only reason I think this is freaky is because the guy is 34 (got his DOB) so why would he hang out with 15 year olds after doing what he did? To me, that's a sign of some kind of mental issue.

9. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    The Qintar? Whatever the association, it doesn't sound good. Let me assure you this is not made up crap. Although considering how much my shoulder hurts right now I wish it was all just a fictional occurrence.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bummer on your shoulder dude :(

hang in there

11. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Thanks for the well wishes Major Metal, fastplant, Gia, canopener, srxplayer, Joshua, NJL and anyone else I may have missed (it wasn't intentional, honest! :) ).

12. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but the part at the end about him not entirely recognizing in the hospital is exactly what I was talking about. The loon(i, ie, y, etc.) that attacked WillPlay might recognize his face if they ever ran into each other again, but I'd bet the farm that he's not sitting at home right now with WillPlay's face in his memory, waiting to ambush him at the local bus stop. He likely would have attacked whoever happened to be standing nearby when that particular circuit board in his head finally fried, just like your guy in the bar. Point being, I don't think WillPlay is in any more danger from this guy than anybody else whom he happens to encounter.

13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yowsa! I just got done reading all the posts - I wouldn't know WHAT to do - I've never been in a fight in my life! I'd be bummin', I think.

It doesn't sound to me like the police or courts are taking this as seriously as they should! This sounds like the kind of guy who'd just KILL an innocent stranger!

Makes me want to take a self-defense course - or pack some iron.

Joe

14. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    The guy has got to be mentally ill. I'm suprised the guy wasn't sent in for a psych evaluation. The county does that out here. Of course they send them in, determine that he is crazy, and then release him because they don't know what else to do with him.

Maybe carry a can of pepper spray just in case he shows up at the bus stop again. We are considering doing that at our office.

It may make you feel silly spraying him instead if kicking his butt if you run into him again but if they(county, police whover) determines that he is a nut and you pound him in your own self defense than you are the bad guy.

Funny how that works, eh?

15. Sorry to hear that WillPlay4Food, sucks to be randomly attacked.

Being "hopped" or assulted here is a way of life for lads my age. In Ireland we have an ethnic group called travellers: they're nomads, kinda like the way gypsies are depicted in moofies, but much more violent and drugged up. Among the traveller lads, their favourite pastime is to hang around town and get in fights with weaker lads, like me. I've been a target of travellers before, 's not fun. I once got a fist sized rock to the head, neck and back, and ended up in bed for day unable to walk. My friend got a few rocks as well, and a bicycle tyre to the face. Since they don't exist on paper (They have no id, birth certs, don't pay mortgages or taxes), even if they get arrested they can't be charged. They don't tell ya that on the travel brochures...

16. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Yea, it is weird, and exactly what I'm worried about.

I talked to the court and it looks like they released the guy from jail, but into the hands of the mental health people.

I'm thinking about getting pepper spray or something because like you said, once you've gone beyond incapacitating someone now you're liable for assault as well. I think if I see this person again I'd have a very hard time not attacking him first. I hate feeling afraid and that's how I feel now. I feel like the only way I won't feel afraid again is to beat the person who attacked me.

17. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Wow, that sucks, Leinad. At this point I feel that I was quite lucky. What if the guy had a weapon? He certainly was trying to maim me.

Oh well, I guess it's off to the gun shop to buy some spray. :( Never thought I'd feel this way. :(

18. Pepper spray is a brilliant idea. I think it's illegal here, I'd love to get me some of that! The scared feeling hasn't gone away for me, and it may not go away for you either, but it will certainly make you more cautious when in public! Just don't get totally paranoid, it only happened to you once!

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One addendum to my pepper spray recommendation. You should know that for whatever reason about 5% of the population is basically immune to the stuff (per various sources including the police officer that worked at the old school I worked at) so if you end up having to use it you should also be making plans to hightail it out of there as well because there's a slight possibility that it won't work...it should work but there is that small possibility.

brad cook

20. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
    Find out his address and your internet allies will mass phone a pizza place and get 100's of pizza's delivered to him! THE MADNESS!!!

We got your back sonny :ninja:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021