... so I got assaulted by a loony this morning ...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Jan 4, 2005.

1. swampash

swampash

Dec 13, 2004
    WOW!, that is not something you hear of every day! Glad your OK.
    That happend to me when i was 14, (16 years ago). me and two other guys got mugged, by two really old tweekers :eek: , i was the only one that fought back until i had no choice but to give'em my money. I suggest the retraining order too, along with learning some quick disabling self defense techniques, like the old snap the knee backward, front kick....OWWWCH!!! won't even be able to run after you then, and if he's attacking you again in you face like that it's really your only defense, I mean damn who really enjoys hurting/fighting people, with no reason at that! :scowl: could be a life lesson for him, if he walks with a limp for the rest of his life!!

2. I was punched completely unprovoked by a former friend of mind when I was at schoolies two years ago. Thankfully, in my case, the guy was soft and was unarmed. He ended up coming out a hell of a lot worse off than I did.

Sorry to hear about everything, Will. I hope your shoulder gets better asap. I think you've had some good advice about protecting your wife and soon-to-be-born child, but just remember that whatever you do, you need to make sure that you don't escalate the situation. Before spraying the guy with pepper spray, you need to know figure out whether he's going to stop and run off, or grab a crowbar and belt you harder. Personally, I would carry both a hand gun and pepper spray. That way you can spray him with the pepper spray and if that doesn't work and he starts getting more violent, you have the option of pulling out the gun, while he's stunned by the spray, and warning him to leave you alone or else you'll shoot.

AFAIC, pulling out pepper spray could very possibly make the situation escalate and if you're willing to run that risk, then you need to have a back up plan. Whether you believe in having a gun or something else is up to you, but just be careful. In the end, while you two are fighting, your wife would have plenty of time to run off with your child. Perhaps it would be better advised to give her a gun in case she was attacked alone.

Leigh

3. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas

Stereotype. I'm a redneck and pretty sure you and I would get along.

Brad said it best. If you do decide to go with a handgun, remember to use your head. Same goes for a knife or pepperspray too. I'm a good sized guy, and know when to stop beating on whoever hit me first. Life will be better if you know how and when to stop yourself.

Hope the arm gets better, soon. Congrats on the kid, I have two and can't think of life without 'em (or remember before 'em for that matter ;))

4. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal

A guy I used to play with got one of those after someone tried to rob his trumpet( along with everything else he carried of course), a good call, not like suggesting to get a gun, like I've seen earlier in the thread...

edit- again a mention to a fire weapon above, Not my business, but firepower can only turn things more complicated IMO, the words "accident" and "shot" tend to hang out together frequently, just a tought.

5. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I think a well placed kick does the job too.

6. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Especially witha pair of steel-tip boots, get some Doc Martens! :D

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Only when you have no decent retort.

brad cook

8. so they wouldn't notice if a few turned up...missing eh? ;)

9. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    Hey Brad, my wife just reminded me that the whole reason the CHL law was passed was over the shootings that took place in the Luby's Cafeteria a few years ago in Waco.

I remember the first time the CHL law was challenged was when this guy that had a CHL was attacked while sitting in his car. There had been some kind of traffic accident with the other guy who started hitting him while he was still sitting in his car He dropped him right there. His case was brought before the grand jury and they didn't press charges because he had stated that he felt he was in a life threatening situation and therefore should have been able to use deadly force under the law even though his attacker hadn't shown any weapon in his possession.

I know what is taught in the class but in reality you really need to be careful who you P*** off around here. You never know who is carrying which is one of the reasons the law was passed in the first place. The criminal now has to take into consideration everyone around him before he commits a crime because he never knows if he is the only one that has a weapon.

10. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Just a thought. If you do decide to get a handgun you don't necessarily have to walk around with it loaded. Usually the threat of being shot has just the same effect. Unfortunately, with people as crazy as the one you encountered, it may not do anything.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That was killeen actually. I used to live in that area and work in Killeen before I moved to Waco too though.

brad cook

12. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I'm a gun owner but I would not recomend you getting a hand gun, unless it's for home protection. The pepper spray or some other non lethal type of weapon is you best bet.

By the way, have you been checked out yet? I saw the post that said you have a shoulder injury.

Everything ok with you physicaly?

13. I wasn't saying all red-necks are rude. I'm kind of red on the neck, too. Except I don't have "cowboy up" stickers. Come to think of it, I knew I was feeling a bit incomplete. Where's my copenhagen?

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Nope, never been attacked out of the blue like that. Sorry to hear of your misfortune bro.

Did you get a chance to eat your lunch though?

-Mike

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    I dealt with something like that when I was working security... some guy with out any reason attacked a 14 year old and beat him up... I had to step in... (The guy was like 30) take him down a bit... then called cops... after a while they filed it... I worked same spot for next few months... did not see him there again...
    He wasn’t insane btw... after I threw him down he acted like nothing happen in order to make it look like it wasn’t his fault... I assume it was same with this guy...

My buddy got jumped by hella people because some hardcore dancers (the ones that make one man mush pit and destroy the whole metal show by themselves) bumped into him (yes... hard core dancer hit my friend on accident) and then they jumped him... if anything it would make more sense if it was other way around... So he might now be insane... just an ahole looking for a fight. (this respond to what I picture the guy as… he might be one of those)

I am just saying... don’t count too much on him being insane... he might be... but he might be not.

When you go down to police... ask them what you can do... tell them you don’t want to see this guy again, especially you got kid on the way. Ask them to help you out with advice on what you can do... and possibly get restriction order. I would also thank cops… they did their job… makes them feel better, some really deserve it and don’t get it:) and well they might come up with better advice for you then “don’t worry about it”

If he is not insane... you close to bay area cal? because I could talk to him real quick:) you know... just tell him how much I like raining weather... and let him guess why i like it so much.

Good luck, congrads on kid coming up... kids are awesome, enjoy it:)

Cheers

16. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Yea, basically cuts & bruises, nothing big. My wife's an RN so I let her check me out.

I picked up some pepper spray, but a gun is totally out of the question.

17. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    My lunch was unharmed. :) I did enjoy it later on in the day.

kserg
    The guy was released to mental health people. I'm thinking the courts wouldn't do this unless there was proof of mental illness. I'll find out more as his next court date approaches.

18. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    In my little bit of experience I've come to the opinion that pepper spray/mace (do they even sell "mace" anymore??) really does more harm than good. Unless of course you're ready to sprint like a gazelle just before depressing the tangy stuff into the turd-of-the-month opponent.

Brad's right..there are a small percentage of people who are, for lack of a more technical term, immune to the stuff. I've met a few..both friend and foe.
    Every time I have used pepper-spray (and not the watered down kind they sell to the general public) I still had to lay hands on the person for a good 5-10 seconds of them being able to see me. After that....only difference is they usually can't see me, which pisses them off, and they become really upset over their pupils burning outta the sockets, pisses them off more.

I totally advocate always being aware of people around you. Don't read:pARANOID
    It's good to watch people and keep a little distance. Never let people you don't know get behind you for very long. If it's gonna happen you need to take the first act (if you can ). The way it sounds like this went down was pure craziness. Only thing I can think of is when this idiot decided to snap and got the initial hit on you...well Katie bar the doo! It's red-a*s beat down time!

I'm glad you're alright. Don't become dependant on much else other than keeping a watchful eye on peoples hands (that's what kill's people) and if you can't always have a witness/bodyguard with ya' keep a cell-phone around. And yes...the shot to the crotch before you run away usually does the trick. Hopefully your neighborhood nutjob will get a mental eval and do a little time.

19. Ahhh.. 'k.

20. Roberto

Roberto

Dec 24, 2004
    If you're really worried about him bothering you again I'd wear an iron or wooden bar about the size of your underarm to work for a while. Wear it in the sleeve of your jacket. If he starts causing problems again hit him over the head with it a couple of times. Even if he's a nut. Similar thing happened to my brother & me once. I don't think he's forgotten that to this day.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021