Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so i got bored today...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by softscrubmonkey, Aug 14, 2005.

1. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    now, ive heard great things said about earth wind and fire and all, but as im pretty young (15) ide never actully HEARD an album by them. the only song ide probably ever heard was shining star, and that without paying the slightest attention to the bass work.
    well anyways, i was bored, so i decided to crack my dads old record player and flip through his vinyls. and i come across the EW&F album gratitude. so curiousity won and i decided to give it a go.
    all i can say is ...WOW...
    i mean im no funk/jazz/whatever you want to call this, enthusiast, so this style is rather new to me. so needless to say i was thoroughly impressed. ive spent most of my time listening to victor and flea and some other modern rockers, but nothing to this effect.
    soo theres not really a point to this thread other than to site my expirience and new taste for some funkay

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Verdine White is a very fine bassist, and the best of EW&F is great stuff. If you're interested in exploring more, try "The Essential Earth Wind & Fire" on Columbia.

3. its great when you find something new and different and it happen that you like it, let's see what you find the next time you are bored... black metal? britney spears?, rostropovich with the israel philarmonic or something.... who knows

:bassist:

4. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Verdyne White is an excellent bass player and is somewhat underrated. Not to many people talk about him.