1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I got my Bob Gollihur Bulgarian Carved Bass (Video Clip)

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Libersolis, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I just got this bass back from set up and I thought I would just let you guys hear and see a sample of what this bass sounds like. Please disregard what I actually play so you can get an idea of the tone. This bass was 2250 plus shipping and is a substantial upgrade from my Chinese Plywood. I am still learning the neck so forgive my out of tune playing.

http://media.putfile.com/New-Bass-Video-Sample

2. nice playing. nice sound
    i really like the instrument.

funny note:
    you're wearing a G shirt and your playing is a lot of G stuff

haha...

3. thedbassist

thedbassist

Sep 10, 2006
    Very nice man, I have the same bass but with a darker varnish. What type of video camera do you use? Bc I want a good one so I can study myself playing to become better. Thanks.

4. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    The camera I have is a Kodak CX 7330 that I bought a few years ago for 120 dollars or so. Really easy to use and seems to capture sound well.

How long have you had your bass and what work did you have done to it? I had the bridge cut down and adjusters added along with have the sound post professionally placed, but Eb and E on the G string buzz pretty bad so I am thinking of having the finger board evened out in those places.

5. Glad to hear you've received the bass, and glad to actually hear the bass, too! So I take it you might be a Bromberg fan? Sweet chops, Libersolis! After two years, my 4/4 5 string is still opening up. Last night at a rehearsal with two acoustic guitars, one fellow who was trying to record us with a single condenser Sennheiser could not find a spot in the room that did not "favor" the bass. Of course I could have played quieter, I suppose! It will be a bit different when we are outdoors and amped, but I love my bass for it's acoustic performance.

It took a while for the sound to develop to that point, but it was good to start with and continues to improve in depth and projection. I would encourage you to be conservative dressing the FB. I found that I didn't need to take off more than a shaving here or there. And I still haven't seen the need for adjusters in the bridge, while some see these as "standard equipment".

Enjoy! :bassist:

6. thedbassist

thedbassist

Sep 10, 2006
    I've had everything you've had done to your bass done on mine and more. I got my fingerboard planed because it was not all the way even, and I got a new, higher quality bridge put on my bass which helped the resonancy tremendously. :cool:

7. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    How much was it to get your bridge planed?

8. thedbassist

thedbassist

Sep 10, 2006
    All in all, I spent around $600, for the whole setup, I got a very expensive bridge though. I really forgot, you would most likely have to ask your luthier, or find one at: http://www.urbbob.com/luthiers.html .

9. what kind of strings are you using?

10. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I actually don't know what strings they are, as they are the ones that came with the bass. They are steel, but other than that I don't know. I am sure getting a set of really nice strings will make this baby sound even better :)

11. They come stock with Helicore Orchestrals according to Mr Gollihur's site. Like Silversorceror, I'm loving my full size 5er!

12. Yep, D'addarios came on mine. Not bad strings all around. I really like the arco sound. Good growl on pizz, but can't help but wonder what some gut types would do on it.

So how long have you had that one, V.? Mine was built early 2005.

13. Beginning of May! I should really be in the shed with it instead of on here. At the moment I'm still trying to tell how much of the improvement I hear isthe bass improving and how much is me improving. The pizz sounds awesomely huge and the arco is starting to get there, although I think my bow needs rehaired as well. Overall I'm well pleased, especially for the price (the weak $US helped a lot).

14. Yeah, we are gettin' hammered on the $$ over here, but it seems to go up and down. Currently, that same instrument would cost me about $300 more than is 2005. Still, that would not be a bad price. I had a close call Sunday when something on a wobbly stage resulted in my bass coming off the stand, but thankfully it hit the guitarist and he cushioned it before it bounced on the stage. No damage, but the event has prompted me to consider a duplicate. I just couldn't take the down time if I ever had to have major repairs.

If you have noticed a rather rapid opening up in the first months, that matches my experience. With mine it seems to still be happening after two years;- less dramatic, but still noticeable. In your profile, I saw that you play for the Glasgow Symphony? Are you using it in that context already?

15. Yes, but the Glasgow Symphony Orchestra is an amateur outfit I play with because I borrowed my previous bass from them for a couple of years. They're nothing like a proffessional orchestra. The conductor does let me abuse the B string though....
    I did actually gig this bass right away- I picked it up from setup on the Thursday and had the first rehearsal for a Gilbert And Sulllivan show on the Sunday. Ill advised? Certainly! But by the end of the week I was hitting most of the notes.

16. My impression of these basses is that they are fine for jazz, but have a pretty rich tone for orchestra as well. I was like you. I took it out of the box on a Tuesday, set the sound post and bridge on Wednesday and gigged with it the following Saturday. I never looked back to my plywood four string even once. It was kind of jump in, sink or swim. :bassist:

17. Sink or swim, exactly. I think a lot of the change I'm hearing is also due to the strings- I've never changed strings on any of my borrowed DBs so it was a bit of a shock with brand new ones, and they've mellowed nicely, but I think I will change them before too long. That's a whole other can of worms though.

18. BadBass

BadBass

Aug 11, 2005
    Lancashire
    Beautiful sound!! I must upgrade my instrument now..!
    Matt ;)

19. clothsnake

clothsnake

Apr 3, 2004
    that is a really nice bass... will you post again with the change in strings... and maybe when they are 'aged' a little more?
    and for someone just 'learning' the neck... that sounds really nice... now i have no excuses... i have had the same nack for years, and still have really crap intonation..!!

cheers

20. Thanks for the clip. I have gone back and forth for a year trying to decide which one of the carved upright to order. Now I know which one I will get thanks to you. Doug

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021