Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

so i got my new gear...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g00eY, Dec 25, 2005.

1. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    but i can't decide if this is the bass for me. i got an Ibanez SRX705 paired up with the GK Backline 600/115 BLX-II. i love the amp and the cab, but the bass is kinda...? i only played 4s before, and i got this 5 on the spot. now i'm looking back and i dunno if i shoulda gotten an MIM Fender Jazz. AND i blew my budget by $200. any input?

2. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Some players make the transition from 4 to 5 and never look back, then there are players like me who did the five (fad) for a while and then came back home to the (passive) J-4. ETHO, but I am peace with myself that I am, and in this life will forever be, a 4-stringer. GL.
    PS: Cheer up!, New gear NEVER sucks.

3. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    keep it around, you never know when you feel like a switch up.

I fully regret selling my 6er ( at least not waiting till i got a nice replacment ).

Also it might take a while to switch over, took me about 3 months before i felt comfortable enough to gig with the 6, yet just after picking up my new TBC M/J it feels like it was born to be played

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm the same way. Started on four, joined a metal band that suggested I get a 5, followed suit, and played it a while before selling it for a 4 string. Now, I'm all about passive. Gimme a nice set of Dimarzios on a 4 string bass and I'm happy as can be.

The GK gear is great, I've been using their stuff since '02 and haven't looked back.

5. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i got an incredible deal (IMO) on my GK stuff. i had planned on getting the backline 250 head, but got the 600 for $50 more.

i really like this bass, but i didn't get a "great" deal on it, plus in the end i'll be $300 over my budget(i still need to get a case and 2 quarter inch cables). hard decision.

any more input is more than welcome.

6. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    I say give it awhile..I thought I'd always be a passive four banger as well...but now I have been enjoying my active five string more and more latley....I almost traded it in for another bass, and now I'm happy I didn't. Anyway congrats on all the new gear. :bassist:

7. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    oh by the way, here are some pics of my new stuff, cuz apparently stuff doesn't exist without pics.

not a good picture, but the small thing is the Backline 110, the big thing is my 115 BLX-II. look at the size difference!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

those pics were taken when i first set everything up.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Amen. I can't go back to 4. I have had plenty of high end 4's, but their number is dying down now that I'm getting a bunch of 5's. It started with my POS OLP MM3, then my Lakland Skyline 55-02D, and I just put an order in for a custom Roscoe LG3005. What's next :p?

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Those Ibanez SRX's are KILLER basses. One of the only Ibanez basses that I like.

10. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Your going to love your Roscoe. I chose an Elrick GS5 over a Quantum 5 and a Roscoe 5 at the time, but all three were KA basses. The Elrick's aprox. 7.5 lbs in the end was probably the final turning point. Anyway, enjoy the Roscoe!