Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I got my new used USA Spector today.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Jan 5, 2005.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    and I get distortion that I can't dial out. The only way I can eliminate it is to turn off my compressor. I've never used an active-equipped bass with my compressor before, and I wonder if this is normal?

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I'll go for the obvious: have you tried replacing the battery?

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That'd be my first guess.

I have one with an 18-volt preamp and it runs *HOT*. Because it's so hot, it doesn't work as well with effects, so you might need to run it through to your amp without compression.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    emg or aguilar or tone pump? what model is it? tone pumps don't need the 18 volts because they are hot as is it(per PJ). What kinda compressor are you using?

5. Those EMG's are VERY HOT!! Especially if you are used to passives. Try eliminating all effects and preamps, if that works then one by one add them back in and be careful w/the input gain(s). Is the compressor in the effects loop or are you running your bass through it?

6. It's and NSJH5, an aguliar pre, emg pickups. I'm not sure if it's the battery, I changed it maybe 3 months ago. Sorry, I've never used a compressor before. Tim, you should know this bass well :p

btw, diggin the p-bass

7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I use a compressor on all my Spectors and never have that problem. Does the compressor play well with other basses? You may need to back off the Volume knob a little.

8. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Well, yeah, the battery was the first thing I thought of. It's got plenty left in it. I'm using a Black Finger compressor, and it has played well with 2 different Rics, an '03 Pbass, and the '73 Pbass that Classic Rocker is now the proud owner of. But after playing around all afternoon, it seems like no matter what i do I get some distortion, even if I turn off the compressor and the BDDI and jerk around with my Boss EQ. I wonder if it could be that it's just too hot for the little Peavey Mirco Bass I'm playing it through....and yes, it does indeed have the Aguilar preamp.

My effects go as follows;

Sennheiser wireless - Korg DT0-10 tuner - Black Finger compressor - BDDI - Boss EQ - Ernie Ball Volume pedal - amp.

9. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    By the way Classic......Love the bass!! :D :hyper: :D

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Sounds like you nailed it in the last part of that paragraph. Try it through your Super Redhead.

11. Since the output is probably hotter, another thing to check is the wireless input stage. It's possible to clip the receiver on those Sennheisers (and most other wireless units, I'd imagine) if the signal coming out of the bass is hotter and you don't adjust the wireless gain to compensate--I've done this with my Sennheiser before.

Mike

12. +1 Peavey Microbass is nice little practice amp, but they'll distort 'til the cows come home. See if you can eliminate the distortion by turning your amp down. If you can, then the amp can't handle it.

13. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I plugged straight into the amp, and voila! Only clean sound. Same with my Redhead. Looks like I've got to start from zero with my effects one by one and redo all of my settings.