Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I got my wisdom teeth out...I don't get it...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Why does everyone say it hurts so freakin bad? I got them out at 8:20 this morning and I haven't taken any pain killers or anything (they prescribed Vicodin) and supposedly after the numbness goes away (a couple hours afterward, it's been like 7 hours) it starts to hurt but I'm fine and feel like I could run a mile.

2. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI

I just had all 4 of mine taken out a few weeks ago. I felt fine after the numbing agents wore off. Hell, I was grilling T-bones for lunch the next day.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    some people have to get them out surgically...

4. Personally, the pain wasn't really a problem. It wasn't that it hurt a lot, it's just that tomorrow morning you might be very swollen and have a bit of a dull pain all day. On top of that mine were bleeding like crazy for at least 8 hours, and occasionally burst open, especially when I was asleep. Just be careful, it's not too bad, just extremely annoying at times.

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Hey cool...you got vics!? Just kiddin. Glad to hear it may not be to painfull...I may be looking at it pretty soon.

6. It varies greatly from person to person. When I had mine out the procedure was no biggy except for the IV being stuck in my arm, which hurt like hell. The recovery wasn't bad either. I was fine in a few days, but was shedding blood all over my pillow at night.

7. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Some people's wisdom teeth are what they call "impacted." I'm not sure what the medical definition of this is, but in order to be extracted they have to be broken first into smaller pieces before they can be pulled. The healing from this kind of extraction can be much longer and more painful.

Thank your lucky stars you weren't in this boat.

8. Actually its even worse than that. The teeth never emerge from the jawbone. They have to dig them out. I had some impacted, but wasn't too badly screwed up afterwards.

Hey, can you sell the extra vicodin in the Classified section of TB?

Rnady

9. My top ones came in fine, bottom actually were impacted. I had the gauze in my mouth to soak up all the blood and let it clot for about 2 hours. Been fine since, been eatin and whatnot, no issues. Been icing it for a good amount of time to keep the swelling down which at the moment there is none. Hell, I'm feelin so good I might even go jam with my friend tonight.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I was blessed with the samething, after the novcaine wore off i was ready to eat a steak.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I took one of the pain pills I got, and that was just out of fear after everyone told me this horrible problems and pain I would be going through. I was more comfortable after the numbness wore off. The only thing that really had me freaked out was the whole "dry socket" issue.

-Mike

12. Same here, I did not have much pain at all. A bit of bleeding for a day or so, after that I was fine. My brother had them removed with out anesthesia, it makes him nauseous. Just Novocain. Me, I took my doctors advise, "no need for me to be there" .... Okay Doc, put me out.

I have heard some horror stories though, it is a lot worse if they are impacted. Impacted simply means they have not begun to break through the gums yet so they must be cut out of your gums and then removed. Anyone with braces will more than likely go through this because you don't want the wisdom teeth coming in an pushing your teeth out of alignment.

13. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    it is possible your orthidonist/dental surgeon is more skilled than your friends/wellwishers vet. :D

14. *sigh* I had some people at my summer job (ch. stick fund) hound me about getting my extra pills. They weren't annoying, just persistent. I decided not to give them the pills...and kept them for myself :) . But seriously though, I taking drugs that you don't need really doesn't help you out at all.

15. Dang you people who were able to eat the day after are so lucky. I couldnt open my mouth AT ALL for a week after getting mine out.

I lost about 10 pounds from it, which was kinda cool. I can always stand to lose 10 pounds.

16. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    My bottom wisdom teeth were impacted. It didn't really hurt that much. Just a dull aching that pissed me off. Few days later, I caught Strep throat. That was hell. Then I went into the doctor again and turned out I had mono on top of it all. That was a crappy time.

17. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I had all my wisdom teeth taken out, two impacted on the top, and one on the bottom that hadn't come through yet. Despite all these seeming complications, I didn't experience anything worse than a dull ache the day I got them taken out. The old places where they used to be were still tender a few days later, but I had no real pain. My dad, on the other hand, had a terrible time.

I think part of it is how good care you take of your teeth and gums, and also how well you follow doctors orders (my dad didn't and ended up being in pain for about a week after he got them out.)

18. The oral surgeon (Dr. La Puma) who took mine out called around 6 tonight and made sure I was doing ok and reminded me of everything I need to do to take care of it and help it heal quickly and smoothly.

19. mine were really badly impacted. couldn't open my mouth. tasted blood for like a week.

on top of all this, after they start to heal, the nurse who is cutting the stitches out slips and cuts into the freshly healed holes in the back of my mouth. what a mean mean mean thing to do!

20. Like GetLow, mine were REALLY impacted, and took about a week and a half to heal. It took them 4 valium to knock me out, and I was on 3 vicodin a day plus clove-based epidermal pain killers for that period. I still periodically bled for a while afterwards. I don't really remember those first 4 days that much.