Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I got that Ampeg PR-410HLF cab......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowEbandit, Mar 14, 2005.

1. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Hey guys I was able to pick up that bass cab and actually play it finally Sunday. It's a beast like everybody says and it has really good lows. I think my cab is a little (alot?) underpowered though. It went pretty loud but when my friend turned up my amp, it farted alot but I don't think it was from maxing the speakers, but the amp clipping. Other than that, I'm glad the guy didn't rip me off and sell me a cab that didn't work. I picked it up for $460 used. A little worn on the outside, obviously gigged alot but sounded great but it's very flat sounding.
    I'm still missing the mids I'm looking for so I believe it's the amp that's the problem. Even with the EQ raised up alot in the mid section I STILL cannot get the mids I want. OR I might have gotten those Eden cabs instead?
    What do you guys think?
    OR should I get a poweramp to add on instead?

Thanks!

2. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    You should have gotten a used Bag End 4 10 instead.

3. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ampeg is like the opposite of mids i find. They're very scooped sounding.

4. If you want to add mids to your sound try adding a 1x15 cab maybe ?

5. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    When I had that cab some years ago, I had no problem getting the mids I enjoyed. It took a lot of tweaking, but I found them! What exactly are you looking for in a sound? What amp setup are you currently using?

6. ??? I've always found Ampegs to be VERY mid-oriented. In fact, it's kinda their signature sound...

7. My Ampeg 410-HLF has had plenty of mids from day one. Never had any problems, besides the fact that I need a bigger poweramp.

8. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    never had any problems getting a great sound out of my hlf 4x10. of course i'm powering it with a mesa m-pulse600(turned up to about "3 or 4" most of the time) which can crank out alot of mids if need be. this is the best sounding bass cab and setup i've ever used(even better than my "vintage" ampeg 8x10/SVT-II setup). i'd suggest trying a different amp with it.

9. Yeah I had that set up for a while, and it cause a lot of pant flapping.

10. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    The PR-410HLF is a power hungry cabinet. Ampeg rates it at 96db/1W/1m sensitivity, which is on the low side for higher end cabinets. I currently run my SVT 4-Pro bridged into my PR-410 HLF and get plenty of volume, but since the cabinet is less sensitive than my previous ones, I do need to supply more power to it for the same volume level. I read in your profile that you have an SVT 3-Pro, so this may be the source of your missing volume with the cabinet.

As far as mids, I've never had a shortage of mids on my Ampeg rig. Coming from SWR stuff I really appreciated the lack of really shrill highs in the 2khz range. The Ampeg seems to have a pretty flat sound, but I have EQ'd some mids into the system and it still sounds very natural. Keep in mind that your bass and amplifier will make as much of a difference to this as your cabinet. Perhaps your bass is not one that is strong in the mids?

11. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    There was none to be found anywhere. I looked at options for a long time a couple of months.

12. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    SVT3PRO and an Ampeg PR-410HLF. I'm looking for a more volume mid sound, something that stands out and cuts but is not overpowering.

13. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    I have 2 basses, a Warwick corvette 5 and a Schecter custom 5.
    The Warwick I bought specifically for it's mid properties and should be standing out at least SOMEWHAT in the mids. But through the SVT3 they both sound the SAME; the schecter is more sterile sounding though.
    I think I'll be looking for an Eden or Genz Benz head soon.

14. Allow me to put in another vote for a Mesa M-Pulse 600. That should give you some mids. I love them! However, I've never heard a lot of mids from a Warwick Corvette (I haven't spent a lot of time with them). Have you ever thought about buying something like a P-Bass instead? It sounds to me like the tone of your bass is part of the problem.

15. BassIan

BassIan Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Cupertino, California
    I'm using a Warwick Thumb 6 through my SVT 4/PR-410HLF and have no shortage of mids at all. I have the mid knob at about 2 o'clock with the mid frequency set on the second of the five choiced. I have the bass and treble knobs at 12 o'clock, I do not use any of the low/high enhancement switches as those all tend to contribute to a scooped sound. My graphic EQ is relatively flat with some cut at the 30hz, and some cutting at 2-4khz. This cuts, this shakes the floor, it does everything without being out of control.

I realize that the SVT3 head sounds different from the 4, so that could make up for some difference. I've always noticed much greater differences when switching cabs/basses than when switching amplifiers, and yes, I have tried a number of contrasting amplifiers (Mesa Walkabout, M-Pulse 600, Big Block 750, Fender 800 Pro, many Ampegs, Eden, Acoustic Image, GK, etc). Just my experience, but don't be afraid to spend some time tweaking your SVT3. Also, don't count out the SVT4 if you're trying heads, just make sure you get a chance to try everything first.