1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So, I got this 200W amp for free...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joey.Ogden, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Joey.Ogden

Joey.Ogden

Aug 11, 2008
    And I mean, of course I'm not going to turn it down. It's free.

The thing is, it isn't a bass amp.

Or a guitar amp.

It's an amp from a high-end non integrated stereo system. It's coming with a preamplifier and the only thing wrong with it is that the on/off switch is broken... no big deal. I can fix that for ten cents.

However, there is no input for a 1/4" jack. Soooo... What do I do? Is it easy to find a conversion cable from 1/4" to A/V? or will I have to jerry-rig something?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    JURY rig. And while not common, you can find 1/4" to RCA cables, or you can buy an adapter at Radio Shack.

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It depends on what you mean by A/V
    If it's RCA jacks - even Radioshack will sell adapters. Just take a picture and walk in.

I'll also say that this isn't too goofy an idea. Some of the new receivers have the latest technology. They are lightweight and low heat for low cost. The benefits of mass production. If they have a FTC or THX rating - you can believe the wattage.

4. Joey.Ogden

Joey.Ogden

Aug 11, 2008
    Thanks, that's what i was looking for. didn't even think to check radio shack... i suppose the simplest answer maybe is the best! :D

An man, this amp has legit out the wazoo. Having heard it in its stereo configuration (tuner into preamp into amp into a speaker cabinet the size of my freakin' house) it's probably the best sound quality I've ever had the priveledge to enjoy.

The wattage... If it's not at least 200 then I'm a monkey's uncle.

And modern? Sure, if you have a time machine. ;) It's state of the art circa 1984. Tubes all the way! :D

Needless to say I'm rather excited that it'll work. Here I was worrying I'd have to sell it.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A screwdriver makes an excellent on/off switch.

6. Hi.

Care to share a pic of the amp, sounds really interesting.

80's tube hi-fi amps are "rather" rare and someone might still convince You to part with it ;).

Unless of course You want to use it as a stereo equipment also and experience the best possible sound reproduction. IMHO of course.

Regards
    Sam