So i Got this idea? Any Imput

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by flea claypool, Nov 17, 2004.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    i was reading this book on wood working and they mentioned the grain of the wood absorbs over 3 time more then the bits between.... so my idea is if i got a ash body... lightly stained it black sanded it...Repeat the process a few times... each time the grain would absorb the dye.... so in time it will have black streaks through the wood liked "spalted"

OR AM I COMPLETElY WRONG? :rollno:
  2. Yes and no. The grain and the "in between" both dye equally...the only discerning end result is the grain marks were darker to start. If you dye the whole shebang multiple times, you'd have to do much more sanding than you'd expect to differentiate the two.

Some people use a darker tinted or black grain filler...then you scrape the excess off, then finish sand, then oil coat. much easier.

This belongs in the luthier forum.
  3. The thing is, the beauty in spalting (regardless of the fact that I am not a fan) is the randomness of it. You cannot really mimic an out of control fungal decay.

As was posted before, you can kinda initiate a similar effect, but not thru a finish application like this...
  4. a. maybe a photographic layer over alder, basswood or poplar.

b. are the veneers expensiveve for spalted?

c. Can it be induced in the lab? If so, how long does it take and which woods "spalt."
  5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    a. How do you do that? Decoupage?

b. Dunno. Maybe you could google it. Try "spalted veneer."

c. There are a few articles online about how to induce spalting. A few of them were referenced in the Luthier's Forum, and there are others out there.
  6. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
  7. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    +1 - that's the first thing that came into mind.

I guess the trick then is to figure out which kind of dye works best and the # of times you need to repeat the process of dyeing and sanding.
  8. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Do you (or anyone else) know more specifically how to do something like the Ceruse? Or any links to somewhere that describes how to? It's a really beautiful effect and I have a heap of ash offcuts to try it out with.
  9. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I think you'd be better answered in the Luthiers section :)
  10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

I think you are right. Moved.
  11. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    one thing ive used alot on plywood cabintry and what not...

bring a torch to it and lightly "toast" the wood....

the grain turns out nearly black, while the rest stays a lighht brown...

im not about to try that on my woods though...but just a thought
  12. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I found something that might be of some help.

I'm guessing it involves some kinda coloured wood grain filler... you could always try and post the results here :) I'd be really interested in the results :D

Edit: Taken from the hardwood info center

Filler: Used to advance the final build and smoothness of the finish. Filler may be neutral or a contrasting color to accent the pores. The use of filler alone may not completely fill all pores and is generally limited to horizontal surfaces of ring-porous woods such as elm, oak and ash. Close Grain species such as cherry, maple, birch and poplar seldom require filler. Few vertical surfaces benefit from the added labor of a filled finish in addition to application of sealer and specified topcoat(s).

"Top coat a couple of times and then tint the pore filler a contrasting color fill the pores, sand and then top coat again. The effect is quite fascinating." from here
  13. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    "In this second example, a 2nd black dye has been applied."

I saw one of these at Bass Central. Very striking!.....t