1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So, I got this new fender..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 68Goldfish, Aug 16, 2007.

1. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    It's a new American precision deluxe. The thing is beuatifull. Super fine craftsmanship, the fit and finish is outstanding. And it plays easy and sounds great. This is my first P bass and the only thing that I'm wondering about is that to me it seems that if I strum a chord for example on the d and g strings it doesn't seem to be as loud as the E and A strings (the e string has massive punch and sustain when slapped with the thumb by the way). I'm wondering if I should try to raise the bottom P pickup a little or if It's something inherant to a P and I should just try to eq it differently. I suppose this is a simple question but I thought I'd ask for opinions for P bass owners before I started tinkering with the factory setup of a new bass.
    TIA TB:bassist:

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Usually, when I get a new bass I play it for a bit and then figure out what I want to change and do a setup for me. The factory setup might be good, but that doesn't me it is setup for you or your playing style. Don't be afraid to tinker with it, but it sounds like you are happy with the action and all. Just raise the p/u on the treble side a bit. If it doesn't help, you can always move it back.

Congrats on a great bass, btw!

3. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Agreed! Great Bass, BTW!!

Pics????? Hmmmm???

4. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Well, we really don't believe that you have a new bass since we don't see any pictures! :D :p

I guess if I were you I might just play around with the pickup height a bit, but I always make note of where I started in case I want to go back to "square one."

5. 68Goldfish

68Goldfish Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Port Orchard WA
    Ok, let me try to get a couple of pics to work. DSCF0360. DSCF0359.
    The thing that looks so cool about this bass is the maple board and the aged white pickguard.
    Anyway, thanks for the advise guys. I'm going to raise it up just a fraction and see how it goes.

6. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Is this with both pickups on? It could be due to the Bridgebucker as well. Try soloing each pickup and determining what strings need to be louder.