So I guess I am our manager, when do I get paid like one?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Droog, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Mostly joking. It seems that I am our bands manager. Its kind of un official, but I am the only one handling those duties.

So how are your bands organized? Is there a recognized manager/leader type? If its you did you have like a meeting and discuss this? I feel like I need to sit down with the guys (there is only three of us) and kind of lay it out. I am not saying that I want more money, at this point any way. Its just, if I am going to be the one making the calls, getting the gigs and organizing everything should'nt that count for something? I guess I am asking if it is un reasonable for me to want to establish that I am running the band and that there may be times that I will make decisions without asking everybody first and that I'll call the shots?

Guess I am confused, but its kind of stressing me out. I don't mind doing all of this, but I feel like if thats how its gonna be then I an undserstanding needs to be made.

Do I make any sense? Thanks guys.
  2. Yes...I was kind of falling into a similar situation a few months ago, before our band underwent yet another lineup change.

Anyway, if you are just starting out, it's probably too early to start asking/demanding an extra cut for booking duties, since you guys are probably not making a ton of money right now, and just gaining exposure, etc. If it gets to the point where you're getting more established, it's not unreasonable to ask for a 10% cut of any pay from gigs. That is a standard "finder's fee." Of course, if someone else is providing transportation, etc, this may all mitigate itself.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to sit down with your band and lay out expectations. If they want you to be the "manager", than that is fine, but they need to understand that you'll be making decisions without always consulting them. As long as they agree to this ahead of time, it'll save a lot of headaches later on.
  3. bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    +1 to talking about it early. My dad used to say that whenever he starts a project with new people, the first meeting is where everyone is expected to voice their unconscious assumptions, ie "I just thought he was doing ..."

I also agree with the idea that you should inventory who does what before people start getting extra shares. I was hanging out with a friend who was loading in at a show and one of the horn players asked if he should get two shares, since he doubles on sax, flute and vocals. My friend put down the speaker he was holding and said, "Ok, and I'll get an extra cut for hauling the PA, an extra cut for booking shows, an extra cut for doubling on bass and vocals..." IMHO, it seems to work better and more fairly for everyone if the money and the chores are divided evenly among the total number of people.
  4. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Yeah, I guess it was an unconscious assumption that I would handle the biz and such. By no means am I trying to get more money, you got to have some first :D Its more like wanting to run the band as I see fit. Its not an ego thing but I honestly feel like I can do it better than the other guys and I am not going to completley cut them out of the circuit, but I feel like making this thing a democracy is not a great game plan.
  5. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    They probably see you in the same light also. Lay it down and take their concerns seriously if they arise. Don't let it slide, talk about it ASAP.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think before you decide on taking over the band in this way, you need to ask a few questions of yourself and your bandmates. We've pretty well established that you're the one who gets the gigs, gets the money, and the other guys show up when you tell them. That pretty much makes you the de facto bandleader already. You get the gigs, they're your gigs and the person paying you will look to you for the success (or failure) of your gig, so it's your responsibility to make sure the band is good and acts in a pro manner. But this is an already-established band that you're assuming the leadership. So exceptions may have to be made if you want to keep the peace. Some questions to consider:

1. If you do originals, are you the main writer? If you do covers, who brings them in and rehearses them until they're good enough to play out? If you're not the main writer, you may not want to cheese off the main writer by deciding to be the guy who makes all the decisions, because he'll see that as encroaching on what he does.

2. Who sings lead and fronts the band? Like it or not, the frontman is the one responsible for your band getting over with the crowd, and I've found over the years that if you have a good singer/frontman, then you should do everything within reason to keep him happy.

3. Do you or anyone in the band own PA and lighting? If so, whoever in the band that owns the PA and lighting are entitled to extra money just as much as you for getting the gigs, so if you're not the owner, you may be creating a situation where the owner's going to demand extra money because you are, and then you're back to square one.

Getting the gigs is the major part of being a bandleader. No doubt about it. Especially if they're decent paying gigs. But if you're going to dictate what everyone makes and take 10% out for booking the gig, you can expect everyone else in the band who has done something major to help it along demand extra money for it, especially if they bought PA and lights.

The leadership issue of a band where someone evolves as the dominant force is a different dynamic than always being the leader. Now if it's clear that you're doing every little thing and the other guys just have to show up and play what you've laid out, then sure, you have every right to demand more money. You don't even have a responsibility to tell them what the gig pays total. But in the end, it all depends on how important you see the other two guys to the success of the band. If they've made significant contributions, they will challenge you.

BTW, people who say they're not doing it out of ego almost always are ;)
  7. Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA

Everyone gets paid equally. Everyone should pull their own weight. If someone doesn't, either get rid of him, or if you don't, live with it and realize that you chose to keep him on.
  8. nemo

Mar 19, 2004