1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So, I guess I didn't get the gig after all ?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by buzzbass, Jul 16, 2012.

1. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Tired out for this 40 something 70s,80s, 90s band yesterday. Awful, totally dreadful. Drummer was uniquely awful, I just can't describe it. Anyway, I thought I played well, despite the situation. They had nice things to say blah blah blah. After 5 or 6 songs they're all like, "so what do you think ? Pretty cool, huh." They want me to do a gig with them on 8/10. 25 songs, I'll need to learn 4 and there is 4 practices left. Piece of cake, right ?

When we're done they were really pressuring me to commit & join the band, said they really dug my playing and what my tone brought to the overall band sound. I commit to learning the material and playing the gig. Mainly to see how it goes, and see if this situation can improve.

This morning I see the same exact ad back up on Craig's List. I guess they changed their minds !?!? What Happened, LOL. At least I got to play through a vintage Acoustic 360 rig, the one guy was a Zepp freak. That was kind of cool, never used one before. Other than that, I'm confused. Not upset, because I didn't think they were that good anyway. I just can't figure out what happened. Oh well

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I'd confirm with them first. You at least should be owed a yay or nay.

3. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Well, I already sent an Email that I saw the ad. I said, " I take it you guys have changed your mind." "No biggie, I wish you luck with your project." Like I said, I think I would've eventually left anyway. This just saved me an unpleasant situation in the future. The one guy says to me at one point, " yeah we've had revolving bass players lately, I can't figure it out". LOL, yeah dude. Because you guys SUCK !!!! The whole thing kind of made me laugh. No bad feelings here.

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Strange I wouldn't have assumed they were still looking based on a possibly neglected CL ad.
    Still , you managed to escape without having to Simon Cowell[sic?] their asses.

5. There are many different varieties of *suck*... I might not mind playing a couple gigs w/technically sucky players that could at least communicate clearly & promptly, and sucked together in an amusing/entertaining way. :) OTOH, *great* players who don't inform the whole band regarding tunes, pratice times, gigs, etc, etc.. THAT would suck unacceptably for me. If I wanna play *mind reader* I'll talk to my wife. ;)

6. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I was told in an Email that it was reposted by mistake. I'm not sure I buy that. The decision is mine, or so they say.

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

Aug 15, 2010
    Looks like there's already drama.

I wouldn't join or even commit to gigs. They're obviously limited in the talent department, unorganized, immature, etc.

Frankly, you'll have no sympathy/empathy from me if you even join since the warning signs are so flagrant.

8. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I hear what you're saying and I don't disagree. I'm sort of inclined to stick it out and do the gig on 8/10 though. But I've got be honest, it doesn't seem like that combo could be turned around. I could be wrong, of course. But, I don't think so. I don't feel that I'm any kind of stellar player either, so it's hard for me to be so harsh about others. I'm just going by what my gut tells me here.

9. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    So did you join their band or just tell them you would play one gig? If they need a permanent member, of course they're going to place another ad.

10. I might be inclined to play the gig if I had already agreed to it since I'm a man of my word.

Do you enjoy the band? Sounds like there are a plethora of warning signs and doesn't really sound like you enjoy it. I have a day job and would guess that you do as well. Since I already have a job, bands need to be FUN or pay my overtime rate. Since no band would want to pay me that much, I would rather be in a band I enjoy.

Sometimes musicians give ya grief that it's better to be in a band that you don't like than not being in a band at all. I always look at my downtime as a chance to explore and work on theory, technique, and what ever styles of music I want.

11. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    when I left the other day, I said I was in. Even though I had the doubts in my head

12. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I plan on covering them for the gig and then revisit how I'm liking things. I didn't say that to them though.

13. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Cl has made it real easy to repost a ad.
    Maybe someone just clicked the wrong one. Repost-delete

14. That's what I figured, easy mistake, probably true.

They want you bad, like immediately, and I think your assessment of their abilities has a lot to do with that.

I am frankly always wary of a band that wants to hire you immediately, with no discussion or time to think it over. Even if you nail it and everyone gets a good feeling, it's the kind of thing that should be discussed and thought out for at least a day or two, by you and the band.

I see two huge red flags: 1) They stink (per your assessment), 2) They are desperate to hire you without discussing it, which is bad band business.

I've been in this exact situation, twice. Once I took the gig and regretted it. The second time I leaned on experience and passed.

15. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA

Perhaps they noticed that you were not real enthuastic about it, and anticapate being stood up for the gig.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Its their loss Don. ;)

17. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Although you said yes after hedging, they probably picked up on your ambivalence--and "ambivalence" probably isn't strong enough a word here, since by your account you clearly shouldn't want to join this band. (Even overlooking whatever other problems make the band "totally dreadful," the indescribable and "uniquely awful" drummer should be enough for no, no?)

18. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    What's the bands name??

19. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I agree, and for me, that wanting you to join immediately is always a huge red flag.

If their not what your looking for, I'd pass on this opportunity.

Blue

20. Goatee220

Goatee220 Bassist/Photographer/Goalie Gold Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Spring City, PA
    Maybe they thought you were too good - and wanted someone more their level. Who was the leader? If it was the drummer, then maybe it was a self-preservation thing, as in "this guy knows I suck, and will try to convince the other guys to replace me if he joins".