1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I guess I need a P-Bass style guitar, whose makes a decent one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by straightblues, Mar 18, 2013.

1. straightblues

straightblues

Mar 5, 2013
    I started another thread that I had a Jazz bass and I play blues and classic rock. Everyone suggested that I should get a P-Bass for my next bass. Ok, I guess I will focus on getting a P-Bass.

I would like to spend between $300 and $700 on the used market.

What makes a P-Bass a P-bass? Is it a certain body wood, neck type or just the certain pickup?

Who else makes a P style bass besides Fender that would be nice and fit in my price range?

2. WallyN

WallyN

Jan 11, 2013
    I will highly HIGHLY recommend looking for a fender classic 50's, I just picked up a used one...really solid P bass

3. FourtyOneHz

FourtyOneHz

Dec 16, 2012
    If it says "Precision Bass" on the headstock then you're good to go.

4. hamerhed111

hamerhed111

Mar 15, 2013
    I'm a big fan of the Squier Classic Vibe 50's p-bass. Sonic blue or butterscotch. Quarter sawn maple neck. Simple single coil with sweet tone. Under $400 brand new and you don't feel bad modding it because it wasn't expensive...

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    No reason you can't use your Jazz bass! I'd put my money toward something like a Sansamp.

6. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    Any particular reason you don't want a Fender? Fender makes THE P-bass IMHO. An MIM or MIJ will work just fine. Alder body plus maple neck is the usual combination and that's what you can get from Fender at any price point, with choice between maple and rosewood fretboards. Plus you can always upgrade the pickups later on if you want and it should sound as good as any.

And don't just go by what we suggest online, you should go out to stores and try some P-basses to see if you like them.

7. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    I like the Squire Classic Vibe Precision. What does it sound like you ask?

8. If you need to ask this question, you shouldn't be playing bass. lol

In all seriousness, Fender makes a decent one. If you look hard enough, you can find a used Highway One or American Special in that range...or a new/used Mexican...or a new Squier Classic Vibe. They're all good choices. Hell, you may even be able to find a used Peavey Fury! There's one in Victoria right now for like $400. lol

9. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Really, why not start by looking at Fenders? Last I checked they were still considered at least decent.

10. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Fender/squire gets. Vote from me too. You can't go wrong. IMO.

11. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Get a vintage greco or ibanez. In that price range and will put basses 3 times or more their price to shame. Also lots of love to japanese fender ps if you decide on fender.

12. straightblues

straightblues

Mar 5, 2013
    No, no particular reason not a Fender. I have been a guitar player for a long time and I know from experience that several makers make Fender type guitars without the Fender name at a lower price point. Some are very high quality for the price. I know which ones those are in the guitar world but not in the bass world. No objection to Fender just want the best bass for the cash I am going to spend.

13. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    In the bass world it seems that role is currently best filled by Squier.

14. straightblues

straightblues

Mar 5, 2013
    I probably shouldn't be playing bass since I am a long time guitar player, but I keep struggling to find bass players for my gigs so I switched over. I am enjoying it.

See you gave me one, now I can go research the Fury. Thanks.

15. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    A used Japanese Fender would be in your price range, also a used USA G&L.

16. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Spend a little more (about $800-$850) and get a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub. I have a Fender American Standard that I bought used for about $750 which is fantastic too, though if I was to buy another I'd get one either around 1996-1997 or from 2008-Present. Those seem to be the good years in recent memory. The one I have is a 97.

17. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    +1 on the lakland. I didn't think you'd wanna spend as much but they are pretty killer basses. Awesome tone machines in my opinion.

18. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I have played and owned a few P Basses.
    Highway Ones are nice as well as MIJ's. In your price range you could get a new MIM P which are nice, Squire CV 60's is built even better, or as a previous post: 50's MIM Classic P...which I currently own...if you like a big neck.
    I like the look of Lakeland P's..but never tried one...I always wanted to but none in my area.
    Hope that helps.

19. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    Used Fender or Lakland

20. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Totally agreed. The 50's Classic Precision(made in Mexico) is one of the the best basses for the money you can get right now IMO. They nail the classic P-Bass tone, and have exceptionally good build quality.