Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I guess I'm a vegetarian now.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jun 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    :bawl: I don't wanna do it, but after reading about/seeing all the terrible things that happen to our furry little friends on the way to the slaughterhouse, I can't do it anymore. I'll admit right now, I'm the hugest sap for animals. When I see a cute furry little animal, I turn into what every man fears to become... well, I don't know what it is, but it goes "Awwwwwww" a lot and makes googly boogly type noises and whatnot.

So veggies of TB... got any recommendations for recipies?

(God, I hope I don't become a vegan)

Also, I've started lifting weights every night. Should I drink Slim Fast before working out or what?

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Gah, living up to your name, eh?

:bag:

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - you could always keep chickens or goats in your garden/yard and kill them humanely yourself - you could even keep a small pig and grow your own bacon!! :)

4. no, then he'd just get attached to them and cry more.

5. try not to eat too much cheese.

some of my favorite foods include bean burritos, beans and rice, hummus, vegetable stir fry (add tofu if you can handle it), vegetable pot pie, mushroom pizza, boca burgers, salad.

i eat a lot of beans, rice, and tomatoes. fruit is good, too. since becoming a vegetarian, i have gotten into ethnic foods much more. i love japanese and sushi, chinese, and my new favorite is indian. i love indian food. mexican can be done vegeterian very easily, as well.

robb.

6. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    This is how rural people have been doing it for eons. Start the kids early on it too. Worked for me.

7. a few things...

drink a protien shake immediately AFTER you work out. it helps to reduce your body fat percentage.

for recipe's try www.vegweb.com there's tons of great stuff on there. my favorite vegan cookbook is "raw" by this wierd guy named juliano. one name. the stuff is hard to prepare, but it's so damn tasty.

i still eat meat. but, i only buy certified organic, locally grown type stuff. pretty easy here in SF, it might be tough in other parts of the country. generally, these types of farms will have much more humane practices ie: free range cattle, natural feed, etc...

if you have any questions about this kinda stuff, just shoot me an email. my wife and i have done a lot of research into what we're eating.

and if you do go veg... you should get some brewers yeast. you can get it from any natural foods store. it's just this powdery stuff that kinda tastes like parmaggan (bad spelling!) and you can sprinkle it on anything. it helps to give you the vitamin B12 which you won't get without eating meat.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If that really is the case, then his first sentence is a bit of a lie and maybe he shoud just have said - I am a big wuss who can't bear to think of animals being hurt in any way - not complain about the "terrible things" that slaughterhouses do!! :meh:

Animals are killed for food all the time - mostly by other animals - one person deciding not to eat meat, will make no difference whatsover to this situation.

Starting a campaign for humane treatment of animals, might have a slim chance of actually achieving something, stopping eating meat, will have an infinitessimally small impact, virtually negligible - posting about that on a Bass website, has almost exactly zero impact!! ;)

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, me too, I like all three of those! :hyper: ;)

:D :D :D
    J/k
    :smug:

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Interesting Matt.....I switched to a vegetarian a few weeks ago myself. Partially from what I saw of how they treat the animals I used to eventually eat.

Next step for me is no milk. Humans are the only species on earth that consume another species milk, and that consume milk past infancy.

I found some great veggie recipes on the FoodTV website.

-Mike

11. It's funny, because sushi is Japanese... :p
    Anyway, I think if you ate a truly vegetarian Chinese meal, you'd die of diarrhea or something. Seriously. In rural China where they grow and raise their own food, sometimes the meat stock runs low. And the way they cook out there...hoo boy!
    All this stir-fried, soy-sauced, tasty Chinese food that you've been exposed to is really the rich man's food in China.

12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You do know how many animals get killed harvesting the foods vegetarians eat right? .......

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If god didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?

14. i know that. but often you can get sushi when no other japanese food is available, so i separate them in concept. it's also generally easier to eat strictly vegetarian when eating japanese v. specifically sushi.

robb.

15. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If god didnt want us to eat animals, we would have 4-chamber stomachs (dont know how its called on English) with triple the size it has now, different set of teeth, etc...
    And we would either eat or digest all day, disableing us to do anything that has furthered us in our evolution...

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Reminds me of tony from Guy Ritchie's Snatch...
    :D

17. the judeo-christian-islamic God made us originally to be vegetarians. he instructed us to kill and eat when we let out into the world. physiologically, we have all that we need to be vegetarian -- our teeth and stomachs are just as well suited for vegetable consumption as animal consumption. that's why we're omnivores, scientifically speaking.

robb.

18. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Not exactly. We can only eat certain types and parts of plants. We are not suited for eating grass, for example. However, we are suited for eating both meat and vegetables and fruits, to balance out our meals

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    We evolved as omnivores, as evidenced by our dentition. Physiologically, we are not well-suited to eat many plants, especially grasses and the like. Meat is an important (and best) source of certain essential amino acids. A well-balanced diet necessarily includes meat. Vegans are just denying their natural legacy.

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    By the way, what kind of humans did the Buddhist/Hindu/Bahai gods create?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.