Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I guess I'm seeing 311 in a little while

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Last night my friend asked me if I wanted to go to 311 today for free. I said OK. So that's cool.

Pittsburgh, Chevrolette Ampitheater.

I don't listen to their music much. I do enough to realize the kickazzness of P-nut, so that should be worth the free alone. :D

The rapper guy is kinda annoying, I only dig his vocals when he harmonizes with singy guy... OOh Nick Hexum, I just remebered his name. Go me. :rollno: And the last song on their first album is bad ass. I forget what it's called though.

Heh, I'm obviously a fan. :eyebrow:

2. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was a huge fan and I've seen them twice. Once was the worst concert I've ever seen, the other was mediocre. Although I've heard some serious live material. So, I guess they are normally pretty good live.

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    they played a show at my University last year. I didn't go though, but I heard it was a good show. For free you have nothing to loose, can't be that bad.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It was alright, the singers (especially S.A.) got on my nerves pretty fast. The band was top notch. The rhythm section is fantastic, guitarist is pretty damn good too.

I hated the crowd. Take 1 part ambacrombie and fitch take 1 part hippie/stoners mix, serve chilled. Everyone kept dancing like they were Eminem. And there were "hippie mosh pits" which were hilarious. They just kinda lightly shoved each other.

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I love seeing 311 live. Im going on saturday and thatll be my 9th time seeing them. If you truely are a fan its cool to see them pull crazy songs out of their hat. They have an impressive set list. Chad sexton is always a treat also.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I just found out the Roots opened for them and I missed them. :crying:

7. I have to be one of the biggest 311 Junkies in the world who has NEVER SEEN THEM PLAY LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!! That's definitely on my "List of Things To Do Before I Die", somewhere behind "Attending a 311 Halloween Show", "Attending 311 Day", and "Meeting 311". :D

8. i used to be a huge fan. i went to a bunch of shows and they absolutely rocked. but recently they have become... embarrassing. at best.

9. The only album that I wasn't too impressed with was From Chaos, but I like Evolver a whole lot, and their Greatest Hits CD with their cover of Love Song and 2 brand new ones is great, too (no pun intended). Still my fav CD, though alot of people didn't like it, is Transistor. And I can't wait for their 311 Day DVD to come out in October!!! 311's got the boom, y'all!!

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    The S.A. fellow has the funniest dance moves.

P-Nuts bass was almost all low end, and some high, no mids. It sounded good, until he slapped and it was just a low warble.

11. I'm going to go see them with my girl the end of july when they come to the Tweeter center in Mansfield Mass. Unfortunately, all they have left are the lawn seats, but still, it should be fun.

12. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I dug them when I saw them live..

The Roots put on a great show, their bassist soloed for awhile, sounded like he mixed a little of Portrait of Tracy into his solo. I also liked the drum solo, it built up as the percussion player, and other instruments joined in.

311 was a good show. Pretty kickass, I only had a lawn seat though, and I like being closer to the stage, but whatever. Chad Sexton is a great drummer, I like his style.
    He also soloed, and the rest of the band brought out concert Tom drums and they put on a little Blast-like ditty. It was surprising and pretty cool.

13. Yes, the drum solo/tribal drum solo in the middle of Applied Science is sweet. I have both ETSD DVDs and I constantly scan back and forth to watch them. I lead a sad life, lol.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think I would have liked 311 better if the audience wasn't there.

15. DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!! My friggin' sister is going to 311's free show tonight!!!!!!!!!!! I should've moved to Omaha with her, lol.