So... I guess my dad has cancer...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, Lung + Brain... :(

He's a smoker and a welder, so all sorts of garbage is in his lungs... including now... a tumor.

The brain cancer spread from the lungs, he never had headaches, but for 2 weeks straight he had a migrane, then went to doctor where he was diagnosed.

Further testing needs to go on Thursday, they say the brain cancer is in the early stages, it's really good he came in when he did.

I'm still a little shocked, but in reality I feel fine (This is where the weird part begins) I found out over the phone via my mom. When I got off the phone, I was freakin' out. I cried in my room yelling and stuff. Eventually I found myself psuedo-praying (I say psuedo because normally in prayer one has organized thoughts and doesn't swear, I hear god isn't a fan)

I was basically saying, "He can't *$&@in' die" over and over and over with my hand in the prayer position. Then without coherently thinking I swear I didn't say this... but my mouth did, "I" said "He won't die."

Then I was calm... I stopped crying (out of sheer hysteria to absolute calmness)...

Now, I'm not a traditional christian, but I have had several several religious experiences in my lifetime... I just added one to the list.
  2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Surfin' the bass 'net, and I see your post.

Not much I can add except to wish your Father well, and to tell you to hang in there and keep the faith in whatever form it may take....

My Father had a stroke last Thanksgiving- He survived with only minimal damage, he's far tougher and stronger than I will ever be.....He is 92 years old, I try and value every day that we have left to spend together and talk. My Mother passed away 10 years ago, and sometimes we don't realize what we have until it's gone.

Even though he undoubtedly knows, make sure you tell him that you love him.

Take er easy Matt.
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sorry to hear it, man. I'll pray for him and your family.

brad cook
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I am sorry Matt. :(

When my father was going through rough times, the best thing I was able to do was spend as much time together as possible. I did bring us a lot closer together.
  5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Very sorry to hear about your dad. I wish him well.

Be strong for him and your family.
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    God does work in mysterious ways. I believe there is a purpose in everything, and you may not like the situation, but there is always something to learn or gain. I'll pray for your dad Matt. And you as well. I wish you both well. My grandmother had brain cancer and it has basically spread everywhere, and she is holding on by threads. She can hardly talk, can't walk, and I am sure she is in pain. Well, I guess what I am trying to say is this: If you need someone to talk to, I am here. PM or e-mail me or IM me if you want to.
  7. That's horrible, man. My dad had cancer as well and it's a very tough experience. He's alive today and your dad can make it too. Make sure you get good medical help and pray for him. Praying helps.

8. willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I am sorry to hear about your father. I noticed you mentioned that you were praying. I will say this could be God delivering you some kind of message. This may be his way of reaching out to you, your father, or both of you. I would recommend you to continue to pray (without the swear words :) I will also be praying for you.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks for the support everyone. I appreciate the thoughts and prayers. Don't worry too much about me, this sounds weird and I don't want to get into too much detail but, I'm very much... in contact with God. By that I mean I've had miracles happen to me (not pluralization). No small measure either. I've been saved by an angel, and I have seen the hand of god. Maybe this was just a strange vision (note I don't do drugs ;) ) but in the bible god communicated in strange visions (see burning bush).

So I know he'll be fine, call it denial due to shock... but he'll be fine.
  10. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, God does still talk to people IMHO. I have seen miracles that could not be explained away. Just keep up the faith. Good luck as well.
  11. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Sorry for your trials. My prayers to you Father and you.
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Hey Matt, my thoughts and prayers are with you, your father, and your family too.
  13. My grandmother (who raised me so she is really my mom) was just diagnosed with small cell lung cancer. She was lucky in that they found it early, and they were able to remove it. She is now through 2 of the 4 chemotherapy treatments they say that she will have to go through, and they have not ruled out radiation therapy afterwards. The best thing you can do is be there for you dad, and be a positive voice in his life. Never give up hope, and don't let him give up either! Listen to the doctors. Although today's treatment's aren't perfect, and there is definately no cure, these things can be treated with some success.

I'm very sorry to hear this, and I wish you, your dad, and your family the best.
  14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    My heart goes out to you man. I hope that your dad ends up ok.

Perhaps this is a good time for you to evaluate you relationship with your dad (hell, we all could do that!). Life is a precious thing, and we oftentimes don't take the opportunity to appreciate the relationships we are given when we have a chance. Make sure your dad knows how you feel, and even when he beats this cancer continue to do so.

May god (whatever it is) look upon your dad with favor.
  15. willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    Does your Dad have a relationship with GOD? I hope so, but if not that will be my prayer.
  16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Matt, I'm sorry to hear this...
  17. :(

You, your Dad, and family are in my thoughts. Hope this turns out alright and regardless, spend some quality time with your Dad, ok?

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's the only thing I like about the cover band I'm in... my dad loves it. I hate it... but I like the fact that my dad loves it. My dad has admitted to living through me, he organizes gigs and runs lights just because he loves being a part of it... which just gave me a great idea for a "hey... cancer sucks" present. I'm thinking about fixing up my accoustic guitar, getting a book for it, and giving it to my dad.

He keeps thinking he's too "over the hill" to rock. I mean sure, he probably wouldn't be on MTV or anything, but I've seen people in their 80s doing cover band gigs... and hey, he's about 40 years from that!
  19. Thats horrible... ill pray for you and your family tonight... i've lost several people to cancer. I know how it feels, hopefully your dad will pull through :hyper:

my wishes are on you
  20. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    cool that you can share this here. Don't worry about the swearing part, god understands. Like a bunch have said, now is a good time to get closer to your dad. And don't forget to take care of yourself as well. A lot of people forget to do that. Best of luck.