So I guess you've all been wondering what my band sounds like.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Some of you may know that I joined a band a while back. Well, I put up a few clips, demos, and edits of the things that have been going on, mainly because a few companies that were are endorsed by(!) and record company "people"(!) want to hear some of the preliminary work. I guess that means I can share some of it with you, eh?

This is a little different for me, and all these songs were written long before I joined the band. At this point I'm little more than a hired gun, but I'm slowly starting to find ways to inject some of my personality into it. The plan is to release the first album as is, and the next one will be a fully collaborative effort; i.e., it will be weird as hell if I'm involved.

I've only played bass one the first track so far- all the rest is just the singer with a cheap Ibanez (which actually don't sound too bad). My part has been refined and has become more me than what's recorded, but what the hell. At least I got to squeeze a fretless onto a rock track.

And without further ado:

Track 1 (full length demo)

Track 3 (edit)

Track 4 (edit)

Track 9 (instrumental edit)

Track 10 (full length demo)

EDIT: I will hopefully some of my own solo (weird) stuff back up on the website soon, for all of you who think I've sold out and forgone my prog geek roots. Patience!
  2. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Bass sounds great! At first I was like "turn up the bass!" but then you appeared and slid down to that first low note and I was satisfied.

BTW, I like the sparkle ZVex's in that picture you posted of your pedalboard! :cool:
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    While my computer takes its time with its crappy connection Id like to say that Im really interested in hearing this stuff...

Scratch that, Im listening now.

The bass sounds absolutely massive!

The band really, really, really, really, reminds me of an old local band from Miami called "Twice the Sun." By any chance is the guitarist named Peter? Do you guys have a website?

Kudos on doing what you did for that song. Id probably do more noodling around but Im not sure it would have served the song as much. You not only pulled off using a fretless in that song, but you made the song need the fretless. It sounds perfect in there. Its not really something Id listen to often, but its really good. Its really eerie how much this reminds me of "Twice the Sun."

Just to add something from my experience. I prefer to jump into bands the way you just did. Ive had to many bad experiences trying to put bands together from scratch because Ive found that the guys who arent in bands arent in bands for a reason, and most the guys in bands who are willing to work outside of their band are just plain flaky. All the available guys are trash, and all the guys in bands are the ones I should be dealing with, so I jump into bands and start out by adjusting the feel of the bass parts to the finished songs so they stay more or less the same but have some of my feel to them. Then as more songs are written I start making the basslines totally mine. After some time, I start putting more of my opinion into the songwritting process and try to add some of my flavor to song on more aspects than just the bass part so that I really am part of the band. Its always a lottle weird at first and you dont quite feel like you are part of the band, but after time the band sounds the way they do because of you and you are just as much a part as anyone else. Im sure this weird feeling you have about being a hired gun will go away soon.

Good luck man.
  4. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Ben Strange? Doing RADIO ROCK?

It sounds great, your tone is great and the mix is great. If you stuck with this, I think you could go very far. It's familiar but not necessarily a rip off. Very good overall.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Ben you guys rock and your a monster of a bassist, even when your out of your natural element (prog geek stuff). Good work!!
  6. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Good stuff, now throw in some Meshuggah poly rhythmic lovelyness on the next album and I'll buy it :0
  7. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
    And you did that on a "cheap Ibanez?" Impressive! That gives me hope with mine. But really, nice sound. Good music. =D
  8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I was part way through the first track and I was all "Where's the bass, yo?"

That is the single biggest bass sound I've ever heard. Massive.

EDIT: The parts in track 1 where you're sliding around on the fretless...*drool* It's like some sort of massive industrial engine revving before demolishing everything in its path. Beautiful.
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You've sold out and forgone your prog geek roots.

But I like it. Nice motobass sound.

brad cook
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Wait, is that you singing in track 10?
  11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Actually, I did that first track with my modded out Steinberger. The rest is just Paul (singer) putting down basic tracks with an Ibanez.

Thanks for the comments, guys, especially Nick Man. I certainly am becoming more comfortable with my bassist only role that I have so far.

Interesting, I'm actually learning how to become a bass player within this band, which is something new to me. I've always had the band conform to me, and this is the first time I've had to conciously shift my style to match theirs. I'm having to do things like lock in with the drummer (who's feel is TOTALLY different than mine), support the singer, and play the same part consistently, instead of changing it every time the way I normally do. It's certainly a learning experience, and I hope to only get better from here.

Oh, we still don't have a band name. Poopy.
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    That sounds like what I do everytime I join a band. :D

Im telling you, just call yourselves Twice the Sun and move to FL. You guys already have a oretty good following here. ;) They did get signed by Sharon Osborne right before they broke up.
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    What happened to Slave engine?
  14. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    So I guess I should be buying a Steinberger now.... That's HUGE! NicktheBassist should hear it, might alter his opinion on that nickleback chump. Now I regret never listening to your geek stuff (I'm a big fan of the progy geek rock)
  15. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    That last track vaugely reminds me of APC's more non-standard stuff. I liked it. Add more crazy, and we'll be golden.
  16. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Well, keep in mind that it's a pretty heavily modded Steinberger through a modded Mesa/Boogie Triaxis, along with some studio trickery from our recording master, Paul. What you hear ain't exactly the natural tone of just the bass.

Come to see us live and I'll let you try it. I imagine we'll be gigging by March.

Slave Engine was kind of poopooed by the other guys in the band. "Sounds too metal", they say. Damnit, these guys are tough on band names!
  17. Althought I'm never one to listen to this kind of music, it's pretty good stuff
  18. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Where do uou live? don't forget I'm in canada eh :p Yeah, I'd try your bass but never actually buy one, not my style but whatever floats it! Hey *temporary hijack* you must like Planet X right?
  19. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I heard about a minute and a half of track 1 before the "connection timed out" or some such BS, and I can't really say I like the music, but the bass tone is tha shiznit. :D Great sound, and hey I liked the intro! Vocals aren't my cupa tea though.
  20. Funny, it seems to fit the music (first track anyway, haven't heard the others) like a glove. They must be crazy.