Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I had the worst dream of my life today...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Only, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    As I slept last night, I had this dream that started out great. I was at some little county fair-like event, only at every booth there was a musician or band performing. All original music, and most of it was so GREAT. Tons and tons of music, complete songs with lyrics, verses, choruses, even solos of all types. And it was all so good. Not just the foggy "I don't remember my dream but I think it was cool" type, but I remember listening not just for catchiness, but also how it was all played, and so much of it was excellent. I woke up with a lot of it fresh in my head, and started writing it down, but I only got one melody before I lost all the rest. Dreams fade so quickly once you're awake.

And now I've been depressed all day and it hurts so much that I had all of this great music, all of these songs that came from me, or to me, in my dream, and I lost them.

I'm not really sure what my point is; I guess I just needed to vent. But I had so much and now I don't have any and holy heck, it sucks.

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    so how is this the worst dream of your life?
    you seem to have enjoyed it don't you

don't rely on dreams to write stuff... move on and take it easy ok :)

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I have horrible dreams all the time. They are the type of dreams that leave you feeling dazed, depressed, annoyed the next day. Sometimes i don't even like to sleep becasue of this.

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    worse...
    Ok... i dont know where this came from but i had a dream about blow up dolls... nothing happening just alot of diffrent blow up dolls
    i woke up... went on pc... checked aim... and left away msg "i had a weird dream about blow up dolls... is there a hidden msg that i need to get laid in it" ...ya forgot my teacher has my aim and we talk... next class she was like... "now when i hear or think about "blowup dolls" i think of you serg"

5. I've had this a few times too. I think it's fascinating that we think up whole songs, sometimes in detail. I never remember it all in the end. Oh well :hyper:

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Your dream doesn't sound too bad. I once had a dream where my own father shot me through the head with a pistol. I felt the bullet pass through my brain, I started falling towards the floor, and everything went black. I died in my own dream, which they say you aren't supposed to be able to do. Scary stuff.

Want more wierd dreams? Try eating something funky before bed every night. Supreme pizza is good for that.

7. Dying in your dreams? I've come close, usually it's the instant life is supposed to be sucked out of you that I wake up. Like at the exact instant I get hit buy a train or smack the ground after falling.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think that dream is trying to tell you something, mr. only :) - remember also that dreams control how you feel too - the music you heard might not have been the focus, but the fact that you wrote something that moved you so much. you have it in you, stick it out and you'll make something special happen.

or it could have been a bit of underdone potato.

9. Now that I think about it, I don't even remember the last time I've had a dream that I can remember. Its been atleast 2-3 years since i've had a lucid dream that I could recount everything that happened.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The wierdest dream I have had is just like basstriaxis' dream, except I shot myself. Some one screamed,"No!!" Then when I heard that, before I was dead, I willed myself back up. Skin grew over the hole, and I went on with the dream somehow. Now that is wierd.

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

My dreams are too weird to share here.

This is a G rated site ...

12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    That happend to me once but it was in the shower. I just started playing this sweet bass lick in my head and then a guitar part hit and lyrics. Then when I stepped out of my bathroom it was all gone.

It would have been a hit. A HIT ON THE CHARTS!!!! and I lost it. I was bumbed for a week. :(

13. My worst dream was this: I was at some party in a house I've never been in, just kind of hanging out and having fun. Then a friend of mine comes in with a knife, in her eyes all I can see is hatred, and she comes at me to kill me. I don't know why, and she was a friend so I didn't want to hurt her, but didn't want to just let her kill me, so I just kind of tried to keep ahold of her but some how she ended up out of my control and the knife in my stomach. I then could see my body and her kneeling over me still filled with hate for me knife in hand. I saw it as though I was floating around in the next room up near the ceiling. And when I had it was copying down what I believe to be aramaic (though I could only match some of it) from an old medalion that was my grandmothers (I found it in some of her stuff after she died and took it, no one knew anything about it) I don't remember falling asleep or waking up, just the dream and it ending. And I don't know how I know, but the dream took place on August 23rd 2005 between 9:13 and 9:37. There was no calender or clock, I just knew that was when it took place after the dream was over. Needless to say I don't like thinking about this dream.

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    whats with people and dieing in their dreams??? :confused:
    too much tv or something?

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I haven't watched TV in eight years. I have vivid dreams. Perhaps you TV watchers are killing your imagination cells.

16. Lolla

Lolla

Apr 17, 2004
    Yeah I've had dreams where I've heard the best songs that I have ever heard before. Not songs I already know, but just songs i thought of. Like once I dreamt that Lauryn Hill was singing this beautiful song. Not any song I've heard before. But it was the best song ever.

I couldnt remember how it went as the day went on. If only I could remember.

But the worst dream I've ever had was when I dreamt me, my sister and my boyfriend (all of us where different people though, but I knew we were us) were preparing ourselves for the Germans to ransack our village. We had our arsenal ready, and we were brave coz we weren't going to accept defeat. And if they caught us we were willing to pretend we were German so they wouldnt take us. And I remember trying to teach my dad how to speak German, but he sucked, he really sucked.

And then I always have dreams that I am on a bus and I have no idea where I'm going. All I know is that Im lost and I've gotta try to get home because I knew that the rest of my life was in someone elses hands or something. Like I had no idea where my life was going.

Pretty weird dreams hey! The weird thing is that on the same night I dreamt about defending my village from the Germans my sister dreamt about a German invasion as well. Very spooky. Mum reckons we were dreaming about our past lives.

Anyway, yeah. Weird dreams hey!

17. It may be one of the urban myths, but I heard that you dream as a way of letting the brain sort out, weed and file all the thoughts that you have had during the day.

To follow a line of thought through to a conclusion, the brain sets up a scenario that is fit for purpose, you think the thoughts, then they are put away. If you are aware of them, you call it a dream.

If you are a musician, it stands to reason that some of your thoughts will be about music, so the dream scenarios will also be about music. I can't help you on the other ones though, except to say that the scenario is relevant to your partially completed thoughts, not some event in the future.

18. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I keep on having dreams that I'm running through empty parking lots full of empty book shelves.

19. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I don't remember my dreams much, if at all, but I do come up with what I think are cool lines during my down times. Like when I'm driving or doing things around the house or whatever. Like other people in this thread, I forget them before I get a chance to work it out on bass, or I drive it out of my head while trying to figure it out.

I'm going to get a cheap portable recorder so if I come up with a line I can sing it into the recorder and translate it to bass when I practice again. I've done this a couple times dinking around with MIDIkeys on my laptop and have come up with a couple of cool lines.

Oh yeah, my favorite dreams are the ones where I'm falling, and just before I hit the ground I jump about 2 feet straight up! :)

20. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I herd that everyone ever has atleast like 5 dreams a night.