1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I had to play guitar last night…

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jwbassman, Mar 7, 2008.

1. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I had to lead a music rehearsal. I’m assistant music director at a local church and the music director had to go to Australia on business for a week.

So my dirty secret is out…I play the guitar. Actually played guitar for about 10 years before I switched to bass about 6 years ago.

Unfortunately, the other guitarists in the group are pretty poor players and don’t have the chops to lead with the rhythm acoustic guitar, so I’m forced to play guitar and get a fill in bass player.

I haven’t even touched a guitar in months, probably since the last time the music director had to go out of town. It just reminds me how much I really enjoy playing the bass…:bassist:

Anyone else have this experience?

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Aye, thinking of buying another guitar and playing with a local band since there are so many damned bassists around. Sad, really.

3. I dabble in guitar a tiny little bit but I don't actually play it very well at all (I don't like playing it...feels too small and twangy LOL).

But yeah, once I just picked up a guitar at a rehearsal, switched on the metalzone distortion with flanger effect and crunched through some power chords with a rythm I made up, which seemed to impress people there at the time.

The second time was after my bass amp blew it's capacitors at practice. To round the night out, the rythm guitarist handed me his guitar and had me play the bass lines to Seven Nation Army (White Stripes) and Come Out And Play (The Offspring) on it. I struggled, but got through it OK. Was sure happy to hand it back.

4. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I think its ultra useful to be able to play both, even if your much better at one or the other. I played guitar for about 5 years before I started bass. I studied bass in college and took it more seriously so Im alot better at it now. Lately ive been playing way more guitar though. It has definately made me more useful to bands to be able to switch around when needed.

5. jwbassman

Aug 9, 2006
    Actually the guitarist from my band is a bass player as well. He is a member here, don't know his username. Said he hasn't been on TB for years though.

It's funny when I first started playing bass I played with a pick and very guitar like. I quickly realized that I wanted to learn to play with my fingers and basically threw all my guitar technique out the window, although the chord theroy and whatnot from guitar actually helped my bass playing.

One of the first gigs I did on bass years ago, we started with an acoustic set with me and the guitarist both on acoustic and we did a bunch of delta blues stuff. The next set I switched to bass.

After the gig a guy about my age (at the time I was probably 23) came up and was like, "nice playin' man, I'm real impressed".

I was like "cool man, yeah I haven't been playing bass all that long"

He says, "No, I'm talking about you guitar playing man!"

:rollno:

6. He probably didn't even notice you on the bass :D

7. Its always good to be able to play both. I find guitar so much easier to play, I also find it alot easier to write the base of a song with guitar.

8. I am a decent guitar player. I have been asked to play both acoustic and electric at church a number of times, to which I respond "who would play bass then?" Then they tell me that they would rather have a bass player than a guitar player.

lowsound

9. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    i love guitar :bag:

10. I'm working on a project with Michael The Duck.

I want him to be in the project, he's a better bass player than me, so he gets to play bass- I'll play guitar.

11. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City
    not to hijack the thread, but noticed you are from manchvegas! word to my fellow new hampshirian.

12. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    I can play a powerchord (sloppy)!

13. jwbassman

Aug 9, 2006
    Manch Vegas Baby!! you know it! Only a true New Hampshirian knows that teminology..hehehe. How's the skiing in Utah? it's been sweet here this year. I was up at Cannon last week, over 200 inches so far.

Back on topic.

It's not that I dislike the guitar, but I definately love the bass. So I'll play guitar when I have to, with no qualms. Actually it's a bit fun. Especially electric. I have a Strat, a Les Paul Studio and I run a 90 watt Fender Deluxe.

I agree with writing songs on the guitar. I find it much easier to lay out the general chord structure and melody. Not that I can't do it on the bass, but guitar just seems to work easier. Just like a lot of people find keyboard easier.

14. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    I'm actually a drummer turned bass player. I wish I could play more guitar but the strings are just too small for me now.

15. Wait... this forum is for bass guitar!?

16. jwbassman

Aug 9, 2006
    Bass is a just a guitar with bigger strings and two of them missing...

:bag:

17. bigthemat

bigthemat

Jan 25, 2008
    Salt Lake City

believe it or not, i don't ski. actually never been in my life (and i've lived in new hampshire and utah, weird, I know)