1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I hate EMGs... soapbar drop in?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tommygunn, May 4, 2010.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    What will fit in the emg selects soap bar route? I was thinkin barts soapbar. Will the old tbird pups (chrome covers) drop in?

Thanks

2. Barts. End of story.

Or you could try "real" EMG's...

3. :D:D
    Rejoice!

But to be fair, you were using EMG selects, not real EMGs.

4. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    I think a proper question to ask is: why do you hate EMG's Tommy? I see your using EMG Select, so, what's your experience w/ the "real" EMG's, as JimiLL said.

5. I love my EMG's, but hate the Selects.

That said, EMG's aren't for everyone. It varies by bass and rig set up. many forgo actives all together.

6. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I think the old er EMG's (pre '90) I have are nice. I can't say anything about the newer ones.

7. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    SGD, Bartolini, Delano, Villex, Q-tuner.... to name but a few.

8. I dont think theyve changed very much....;)

9. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Too modern sounding. Emgs are one of the reasons I don't like spectors or some schlectors. spelling on the second one? lol

10. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Dunno about "modern sounding" so much as adding a sterile, somewhat harsh, coloration to whatever instrument they are in. Pickups like Lane Poor, Q-tuner, and Villex have a wide frequency response, yet, unlike EMGs, they retain a natural overall sound. Then again, I'm not sure exactly what people mean by that term.... BTW, the Bartolini CB series are also worth looking into.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Seymour Duncan makes a direct replacement for EMGs

[​IMG]

12. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Another option is Alumitone Bass Bars (I'm all about options!). Haven't heard them.... user reports have been promising.

13. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Barts aren't the end-all, be-all pickups, but they've come to be something of a standard for a very good reason: they tend to sound good. They're kinda universal. They work well with just about any playing style and just about any bass.

That said, I've used (and still use) a smorgasbord of different pickups, but I've never heard a set of Barts that I didn't like.

14. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Not the end of the story, just a chapter. They are other choices as well. ;)

new_SGD_cover_logo.

(new cover design)

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    BTW, Tommy actually means guitar humbucker size(Steinberger), Select don't do a soapbar, IIRC.

16. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    the real emgs actually sound decent. i had some, they were nice.

on a side note i would go with q-tuners now.

17. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Oh they are the HB size... No the chrome covered T birds are too big.

18. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    You can get the Gibson TB+ pickups in that shape though, they pop up on eBay, from time to time advertised as T-Bird pickups(though they were for the old Les Paul bass, sellers mistake), good pickups, I have two along with a Rio Grande in a bass.

19. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Nordstrand, Delano, SGD, etc either make direct drop-ins, or will gladly do some custom work to accommodate.

I personally love my EMGs (the TW/P was a great combination, I discovered), but they aren't for everybody.

20. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    That confused me. Thanks. I know real soaps but I've seen these called soapbars too.

Oh Sweet thanks man!