1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I have 2 free rack spaces

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blizzard, Apr 10, 2006.

1. I have a Eden WT550 and am getting a 4 space rack case with the view of putting something other gear in the free spaces. However I'm not sure what to put in there I was leaning towards a power conditioner (which are fairly expensive here) but reading some threads here it sounds like I would go just as well with a powerboard with somekind of surge protector built in. My other thoughts were a rack tuner (expensive for decent ones here) and/or a nice compressor. So what would you guys suggest?

ps feel free to suggest something completely different if you want.

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    There's always used conditioners on ebay. I picked up a used Furman PL-Plus for $60 USD, & its in "like new" condition.

Its hard to get excited about spending money on something that doesnt add to your tone. But, we were in practice last week & something happened where a CB radio started coming thru our guitarists combo amp.... nothing came thru my rig!

That single moment, made it worth $60.

3. You should try posting a WTB ad down in the classifieds for a rackmount tuner- that will turn up a few pretty quick. I have a hard time imagining that a new one will be better than a used one.

4. personally I'd go for a PODXT pro...great modelling preamp...

5. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I'd get a rack tuner.

6. zackattack

zackattack Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    San Francisco
  7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Tuner for sure... How do you like the compressor on the Eden? I would do tuner, power or rackmount multieffects unit,

8. I vote power conditioner and tuner :)

9. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    Would an US power condition work in Australia though?

Also, would a US rack tuner work in Australia? It obviously has a power cord which im guessing wont work in Australia

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    power conditioner and tuner.
    I love having an onboard tuner.

11. TBalls

TBalls

Mar 18, 2005
    Boston
    Personally, I'd go with a power conditioner & tuner. I've heard a lot of people who doubt the actual level of protection they offer, but it makes me feel better.

I'd say definitely don't go for the compressor. The WT-550 has a pretty decent one built-in.

If Peterson would only make a rackmount version of the VS-II, it'd absolutely be in my rack.

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I know I only mentioned Power Condition in my first post, but

Power Conditioner + Korg DTR-1000 Rack Tuner... very nice!

13. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    power conditioner for sure, and instead of the rack tuner spend the same $ on a peterson vs-2! it has a tilt back leg that allows for it to easily stand on top of your rack, which is how i use it. its the same price as some rack tuners, can run on batteries and work for 100 to 240 VAC, and is 10 TIMES MORE ACCURATE!!
    Just keep the other space open for future upgrades and ventilation for now.

14. Thanks for the responses, I think I'll look at a power conditioner and tuner to fill the rack. Hopefully second hand but that could be a bit difficult finding them here.

15. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I bought a new ART PS 4x4 for Aus $250 - it has 8 IEC connections at the back, rack lights (with dimmer pot for those slow numbers) an incoming voltage meter and a current draw meter. The US model has regular power outputs, all exported models just have the IEC.

Jaycar sells IEC plugs for ~ $6, it's an absolute breeze to retrofit your power leads. I put a small power board in the back of my rack, and run an extension lead to my pedal board.

Actually, setup for me these days is great: I only need to find a single power outlet to feed the PS4x4 & my whole setup is up and running, with surge protection and filtering as a bonus.

One note, to user addylewis: Blizzard has an Eden WT550 head. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that putting a Pod in the signal chain would be a step backwards :)

cheers,

16. seakamp

seakamp Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    +1

that is all

17. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    uhhh......

How about a louvered 2U filler panel?

Also very inexpensive................:)

18. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Power conditioner, and BBE Maxcom which is a nice compressor and sonic maximizer all in one.

19. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    I know it might sound like sacrilidge but I put a Behringer rack tuner in my 4 space with my WT550...

Does the job and only $110 ish...

Run it through the effects loop, doesn't do anything noticable to my tone & the mute button works for silent tuning....

I swapped the tuner & the blank panel around after taking this pic... The lights on the tuner light up the front of the head better now.