Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, I have a Boss CEB-3 on the way...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Apr 1, 2005.

1. and I'm itching with excitement for it to get here. So to all you owners of them, what are some of the many different tones you can get with it?

I'm guessing you could easily get that Geddy Lee tone from The Trees?

And, please, sound clips are welcome:)

2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I like mine. I was a little worried when I first got it, but once I tweaked it, I got a nice-nice sound. That low-cut control is powerful and valuable!

I wrote down my favorite setting, but don't have it handy right now - I'll write back from work with the settings.

Joe

3. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I've got a crappy soundclip here..This was taken on a brand new song at my last rehearsal, so nevermind the blunders and screw ups...I did this on a geddy lee jazz with ultrajazzes and (gulp) a pick! I know, I know...i used a pick...

HERE

you'll hear it at around the halfway mark..CEB-3 and a little ODB3 overdrive..

I reallly like the pedal. It has a nice subtle chorus effect and the low frequency knob is a big plus.

4. I recently bought the CEB2... awesome chorus, sounds great.

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Heeey - same thing I use! That's a good sound on your demo clip - the pick sounds right for that song.

I run a CS-3 (I never turn the compression off), ODB-3, then the CEB-3.

My favorite setting on the CEB is Effect=2:00, Filter=9:00, Rate=5:00, Depth=9:30. With the ODB off, this setting is very subtle, but powerful - on low notes you can maybe barely tell that it's on (if at all); on higher and higher notes the shimmery tremelo-like effect becomes more distinct; on harmonic pings it sounds cool and other-worldly; when I play my simple tapped-parts (simple bass line with two-note 'chords' over the top) I usually have the ODB on (low gain 'growl'), and it makes the higher harmony taps sound very organ/keyboard-like.

I'm diggin' it.

Joe

6. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I just got one last week and I'm still playing with it. I love the Low Filter too.

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    The CEB-3 was my second stomp box after my TU-2...

I've goofed around with other chorus pedals, just to check it out, and the depth and warmth this baby gives is amazing!! Run this through a Reverb, and it almost sparkles.

I run it max on effect and filter, rate at about 1 o'clock, and depth about 11 o'clock.

8. Hey! Same here. I bought the TU-2 and I was initially dissapointed I bought it (at the store, I hadn't messed with it) because I wanted a chorus pedal right THEN, but I decided to wait it out and now I tell anyone considering to buy a pedal the TU-2 should be first on the list. Best 99 bucks I spent.

Oh! And slapping through it' I've heard of people slapping and having the chorus pedal on. Does this sound good?

This was my gift for getting straight A's on both of my report cards :hyper:

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Dude! ..Psychodelic, Man.

I use it for a subtle effect; you're really gettting your money's-worth out of yours!

Joe

10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    that I am!! I love the sound it gives.. It's tastey

I've slapped with mine, and it holds out well :)

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, but you're using NO cut on the filter (fully clockwise)?

I basically set my filter so that the 24th-fret harmonic on the G-string is getting a noticable bit of a pitch-shift, but the octave-G really only exhibits a tremolo effect.

I don't imagine that I'd ever put the filter more-clockwise than.. 12:00 maybe - even for a more slowly-modulated, more psychodelic sound, like for the slow end-part of Trower's Day of the Eagle.

Joe

12. bassman314

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah.. the filter isn't a Boost/cut... it's a cut/flat... so at max filter, you aren't cutting any of the low end. It actually doesn't add that much oomph to my signal... just like it better that way.

13. Roar! 3 day shipping! Hurry up!

14. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Ohhh, Man - I spent about an hour and a half at the rehearsal studio playing with mine last night (I was supposed to be practicing BASS!). Since I just got mine about a week ago, I'd only had time to work-out the shimmery tremelo setting that I talked about in an earlier post; now I came up with a killer slow-modulation sound.

If I remember correctly... I think the settings are Effect=2:45, Filter=9:15 (I know I'm into quarter-hour knob-angle resolution here, but those two are pretty touchy); the next two I'm not as sure about: Rate=7:00 or 9:00 or something, Depth=uhh... don't remember.. noon-ish, I think?

I didn't use it at last Saturday's gig (I had just gotten it a few days before) because I thought it was BROKE. I went to use it for the first time, and while I could still hear sound coming through it, the LED wouldn't go on, so I just pullled it out of the signal chain. I replaced the battery and it was fine. This means that I either got a bad battery, or this thing sucks-up a battery in less than two hours! I wouldn't like that much - I've been running all battery power for for pedals on-stage.

Joe

15. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    No-no: Rate=5:00 to 7:00; Depth=4:00
    No-no-no.. I musta either put in a bad battery or an old battery. On Sat. night it lasted all show, and the LED is still glowing bright after two hours of practice yesterday. (Out of my ODB, CS, and CEB, the CS-3 uses-up batteries the fastest.)

ALSO: One great way to get an idea of what the CEB is doing - especially concerning the filter knob - is to put an open 'dummy plug' into the second output jack. This way you can hear only what the 'effect'-part is doing, with no 'dry' signal in there.

Joe

16. I'm still waiting:( *cries*

17. Got it in the mail, still messing with it. Man, this is a beat. What should I buy next effect wise?

18. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    ..An ODB-3 to go before it!

Joe

19. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I tell you, I put a DOD 250 Overdrive/Pre behind the CEB3 and boy is it awesome!

Hopefully I'll have a soundclip of it later.. The 250 is a super mild overdrive, but sounds HUGE! It makes the ODB3 sound sterile in comparison :eek:

20. I'd like a good distortion.