Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So I have about 800 dollars....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lowend4s, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    And Im looking for a nice new amp. Perhaps a combo? Or maybe a nice rig setup? I play through a mexican J-Bass with 1960 american made fender J-bass pickups. I play a variety of music including reggae, funk, and rock. What would you kind bassists reccomend? I have heard superb things about SWR....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    are you looking for both an amp and cab for $800, or do you have $800 to spend on just a head?

3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Get a used 210 and a used hybrid head. If you like the SWR line you could get the Goliath Jr and the SM500 used for about 800.

4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    There is a used SWR SM-400s on bassgear.com. Combine that with an Avatar 210 cab for about another $250 bucks and you have a professional 500 watt rig for $700.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/b210.htm

5. Lowend4s

Lowend4s

Jan 2, 2001
    800 bucks for a cab and head

6. I would definitely pay close attention to the used market in your area, you'll be able to get a 4x10 and a good head for that money if you look hard enough.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

GREAT SUGGESTION!!! :bassist:

8. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Thanks Jason!

Be sure to get an 8 ohm 210 cab so you add another 210 in the future when you have the bread.

9. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I second the option to look used. Especially at places that specialize in used gear, and even better yet in classified ads (people who advertise here generally NEED to sell, and so their prices will be lower)

other than that the avatar suggestion is a good one, though I would prefer to have a 15+210 stack than 2 210 cabs.

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I have sold a lot of heads cause I now use the GK 700rb. And versatile head, and very loud so that shouldn't be the reason you need to upgrade or switch out. Leaves you a good bit for either 2 12"s, 4x10, 2x10....

11. dufus1478

dufus1478

Mar 26, 2003
    Go and try out new and used in your price range. If you can, use your own Bass. I think most amps (even if they are the same model amp) tend to have differences depending on when they were made.

12. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Definetly used! I would say get a head and cab, or even a really simple rack setup. It could save you money in the future if you play it right.