1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

So I have not played bass in over 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Apr 20, 2009.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Seriously this is bad.
    Ever since me and my bandmates stepped into the studio to record the vocals for our upcoming album, its all we've been doing. Rehearsal was put on hold to finish the album, and I just don't find it fulfilling enough to sit and play bass by myself. I know I could be dedicating like half hour a day to run through some excercises, but its bloody boring! I'd rather be rehearsing!

To make matters worse, our drummer hurt his shoulder and will be out of comission for at least a couple of weeks so that means no band practice till then, which in turn means my bass will sit there for longer and not get played.

I don't think I've ever disregarded my bass for this long, but I just can't get the motivation to play it right now...ugh..but I have to do something to keep my playing sharp. When we were rehearsing I would practice so much and my chops got really solid.

Any recommendations on what I could do to practice and keep things interesting?

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
  3. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Listen to some of the music that inspired you to play bass in the first place. Get out your bass and noodle around during the commercials while you watch TV.

4. Teach a beginner. This always inspires and motivates me to play. So many times we forget our main purpose as musicians is to share what we learn with others.
    Mic Nuggette'

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    :)

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I'm also not good at practicing unless I am motivated.

There must be some song you have put off learning "because I don't have time right now"...... well now is the time to learn it.

Also noodling on a bass you haven't used in a while can help. Or maybe play around with effects. It can be fun to use an wah or autowah on totally inappropriate songs.