Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, I have the most expensive set of Hipshot Ultralites.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Frank Martin, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yes, Ladies and Gentlemen.

I ordered 6 Black Hipshot Ultralites and two small bottles of TruOil.
    I won't name the place where they came from - at least for now. I'm still waiting for their apology. If I don't recieve their apology soon, this rant will go on.
    So far the grand total without shipping and customs, etc was $122.20
    As is in their shipping policy, I wrote in the special instructions box that I'd prefer to use the services of USPS Global Express Mail.

That was exactly two weeks ago.

They shipped with FedEx, however.

I received the package today. (3-5 days huh?)

And the grand total:

Try to guess. I'll give you clues.
    FedEx charged three times as much for shipping as USPS's rate.
    They also charged me customs, storage and shipping fees.
    There also was the 2,7% EU tax for instrument accessories and the 25% Hungarian VAT (robbery)

*drumroll*

$231 (by today's exchange rate) :rolleyes:
    Yes.

Had they shipped with USPS, it'd had been at least $55 less - and if it slid under the customs (happens with USPS), I'd only have had to pay about $150.

This is über-lame.
    I'm already sorry I bought them.
    I hate open gears, the weight difference is not much, the fingerprints show very well, and the posts are loose.

Rant over.

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    wow!! There was no place in Hungary or any counrty nearby that would have saved you some money?

3. crap! and here I am complaining about 9$ shipping!

4. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hipshots are not available in Euope. Except maybe there are some dealers that might order them, but I couldn't find them by searching.

I just received an e-mail from LMI, I got an apology and they refunded the difference in the shipping.
    Now this is what I call customer service! :cool:

However, I'm still angry at FedEx.
    They charged more for shipping, they charged for customs clearence, then inspection, I also almost got storage bills... for one package, about the size of a book, and less than two pounds. :rolleyes:
    And on top of this came the custom and the 25% VAT, aka state-led robbery :rolleyes:

5. Frank, it might be a little consolation to know that even the best tuners have posts with a little play in them when they aren't strung. This goes away once the post is centered in it's ferrule and has string tension on it. It's just damn near impossible to make a revolving post stand up rigid on such a thin plate at these price levels.

6. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    That's unfortunately how it is Frank,

When I used to live in the netherlands I got shafted a couple of times like that too. With me it was with DHL delivery from stewmac. Once or twice I ended up paying 60-70% of the package cost only in taxes/customs. :rollno:
    What kills me is that they charge taxes on the shipping costs!

I don't use DHL anymore, I let it send by usps airmail now, I don't mind waiting a week or two to save the cash.

7. sorry to here that Frank...if you have records of your specific request for shipping, then one would think that they should at least honour that.

I had an opposite experience and it was with guitarpartsresource.com (I'll use the name with a good result)

except for large parts, they use the same shipping charges globally ($6.95 US)...I bought a few chrome knobs and a push-pull pot and I got it via USPS in about 1 week...

all the way to Queensland, Australia from Ohio...

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Jeez, Highway robbery indeed. You'd think it might be of some benefit to get to know a bunch of people in the states that could buy them for you and send them over in a plain average looking box marked "GIFT"... :cool:

Heck I'd have done it for $199 :p

9. as you SHOULD...when you order a lot of parts from a lot of different places shipping costs add up.

if it weren't for shipping costs, I'd probably own a couple of more basses from the US.

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :D
    Maybe I will use this method next time. But for now, my bass is nearing completion, now it's time for: p-up screws, drilling the rest of the holes, TruOil, polyurethane, finishing the electronics and it should be ready :hyper:

11. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt