So I have this here bleach blonde thumb...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Jul 12, 2004.

1. She sounds like the greatest bass i've ever played but the neck dives like a freakin' submarine. I have it on loan from a GC until I get my Corvette back from them. It is really a beautiful bass, it's a shame the neck dives so badly or i'd buy it.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Psh, neck dive shmeck dive. Buy it :p
  3. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    I had 2 thumb basses so far & they both were so uncomfortable.

Its really a shame, because they are the best sounding warwick model.
  4. Just get one of those metal horn extenders to balance it better.
  5. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    I thought someone said that the blonde Thumbs didn't have the neckdive problem? Weird.
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think they said they assumed they wouldnt, but you know what they say about assumptions...

Anyone know where to buy one of the metal horn extenders?
  7. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Just get a different strap that grabs a bit more and then adjust so that the neck angle's a little bit further away from the ground. I've heard that takes care of it, too.
  8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Those things scare me. Seems to me that they must put some unusual stress on the wood. Then again, maybe I'm just a worry wart.

If neck dive bugs you, then stay away from that bass because you'll just end up selling it after it irritates you too much.
  9. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Treatment for neck dive: Apply one 4" wide strap. Rinse. Repeat.
  10. My first bass teacher has a Thumb. The neck used to dive.
    To solver the problem he added a little tube to the upper horn about 2-3" in which he fixed the straplock. It's not really beautiful but the neck doesn't dive anymore.
  11. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I used to have an early neck-through Thumb 6 that didn't really neck dive as long as you liked the neck parallel with the floor. Of course, it weighed about 75 lb., which probably helped to counterbalance those 6 tuners....

12. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I played a thumb 5er for 10 years and yes it neck dived on its on my solution was to add a strap that went around my can kind of see a clip in this pic which was under the strap cliped there then the wrapped around and went on the strap button with a strap lock.

13. I have a 3.5 inch one for my Corvette. My Corvette doesn't dive. I thought that was bad enough until I got that strap. The problem with the bleach blonde is that the maple is lighter then the bubinga, or whatever they use now (ovangkol?) for the thumbs, and it just dives even more because the neck is still a good deal of weight.
  14. I use a brass extender on mine and it works great. The bass balences well but it's still HEAVY...

You can see it in this pic. It's very sturdy.
  15. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Where did you get yours?
  16. e-bay

I think the company is out of business though. Search for the "bass extender".
  17. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    There are some BB and BB5 and Maple Monster Thumb owners here who said that, and not assumed it ;) :rolleyes:

Good ways to fix neckdive:
    - wide strap
    - playing it higher (the Corvette and the Thumb were designed to be played at about chest-height; if you want a lower-riding bass, that was the Dolphin)
    - replace tuners
    - horn extender
    - balance it with counter-weight in the electronics cavity (though that adds a bit to the weight...)

The thing that makes them so heavy and prone to neck-dive is that they have a neck and FB of dense, heavy woods and they have steel trussrods and steel stifness bars - which, on the other hand, make them very stable
  18. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    my BBThumb never dove and was light as a feather anyhow - but mutant may be right, about playing height - I don't sling my axes low at all, mine are kinda high.
  19. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU

From there Test-Archiv (but feel free to look around on the site, there are some interesting things)

"Das Handling ist für höhere Tragepositionen optimiert, wobei der Thumb nicht nur leichte, sondern auch ungehinderte Bespielbarkeit für Greif- und Anschlaghand bietet. Slapper fühlen sich hier direkt zu Hause, und jede Art von Offensivspiel wird von diesem Thumb bestes bedient."

The handling was optimised for higher wearing positions, where the Thumb offers not only easy, but also unrestricted playability for both fretting and plucking hand...
  20. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU