1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

So I just chipped my Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joe_cool27, Sep 7, 2008.

1. joe_cool27

joe_cool27

Aug 21, 2008
    I was taking off the neck on my Jazz to remove a shim when I hear a loud snap and see little things flying. I think "***, did i break a string?" l look around and no I didnt, but theres a nice size chunk of the finish missing from the cutout near the neck pocket. :crying:

I thought about gluing it back but i just noticed one of the pieces of the finish took a small piece of wood with it! After inspecting the biggest piece of the finish, I see three layers: a thin top clear layer, a thin middle layer (which i assume is the actual paint), and a third very thick lower layer.

Did I just break the impenetrable polyurethane sealer? Or is that still there?

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    You broke it.

3. free relic job.....On a more serious note, I know how you feel, those first chips and scratches hurt for some reason...but now you know its not mint, and can use it like its intended...as a tool to make music. Once I got over the newness of my J bass, and accrued a few battle scars, I became much more comfortable playing it, less worried about getting a scratch on it. You could superglue the chip in, but if it doesn't affect playability, no biggie.

4. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    That happens all the time to all of us, don't worry, just be careful.

5. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Might as well fire up the belt sander and complete the "relic"ing process!

Just kidding - if there's one thing the world doesn't need, it's another bass body with fake wear & tear.

REAL wear & tear, now that's a whole different thing! Congratulations: your bass now has character.

All my axes have scratches, dings & gouges, mostly from me doing stoopid things. I cuss when it happens but what are you going to do? I didn't get them to display. I agree with Catfish - things are always way more fun when you don't have to fuss, trying to keep them in mint condition.

6. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    It's worthless. You ruined it. Sorry, dude. Send it to me and I'll see to it that it gets a proper burial :smug:

7. joe_cool27

joe_cool27

Aug 21, 2008
    DO'H! I was looking for an excuse to refinish the bass, now I have one. I'm thinking electron blue (what it is now) with a silver racing stripe like on the old Fender Mustang on the arm contour with a nitro finish.

I've had the bass for almost 4 years now, so I got over the newness a long time ago. But now I'll care even less if it gets scratched.

I'm gonna take this as a sign to stop messing with the neck and shims and just get it setup by a pro.

8. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    You tried to remove your neck without taking off the strings???? :confused:

9. j.a.e.r.i.p

j.a.e.r.i.p

Apr 8, 2007
    if so...
    :scowl:

10. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    It's unnecessary to completely remove strings, as long as you loosen them (a lot), before taking off a neck.

11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    That is true I suppose, but if he thought he might have broken a string it sounded like he went to remove the neck with the strings at full tension. It is possible that I could have completely misunderstood the OP's post.

12. joe_cool27

joe_cool27

Aug 21, 2008
    I detuned it first. There was no tension on the neck.

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    My mistake then. Please disregard my posts.

14. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    personally, i love the look of a bass that is well worn in and has a few battle scars

15. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    i agree with jerm. you've taken out some wood but you put in some MOJO!:)

16. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    +1

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I chipped my $5000 Celinder last week. It's black with a white undercoat. :)

18. joe_cool27

joe_cool27

Aug 21, 2008
    If I did that, I'd probably break down and cry. lol

What surprised me is is that the poly finish is so thick, its like a credit card.

19. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    Its also really thick on my mim jazz bass. I routed out the neck pickup for a p bass pickup and I was really suprized to find out that the finnish is about an 1/8th of an inch thick.

20. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    It sounds like the neck was not completely out of the pocket when he leaned the neck to one side or the other. This might have been because having the strings attached prevented him of lifting the neck completely out of the pocket. I have romoved a neck the same way but luckily I didn't break anything. It may not be 100% neccessary and more work but removing the strings is definately worth it in the end. As for picking up the pieces? fit them back into the bass and glue them in (unless you like the hole ).