Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

So, I just got a Big Muff Pi (USA)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Psyrcle, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

Is it really all that different from the Russian? Am I going to hell?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Great pedal, similar circuit to the Russian but much higher quality.

3. I'm very sorry, man - but you are :scowl:
    You should have picked a Russian one, because... well, I don't know. It's cooler.

Anyway... I'm sure there is no difference at all. The Russian may sound a bit more harsh, so it depends what kind of music you play.

My advice: Give your American away, or even pay someone to take it. I'll help you get rid of it ;)

4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    I chose a russian only because it was cheaper...

5. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Russian = Indie Street Cred

6. Excellent choice :)

I love my NYC Big Muff - I find it retains the bottom end real well, much better than the Russians I tried. However, I have heard that there can be some inconsistencies with Big Muffs and tone, so you might want to do a search here to find the mod for the Big Muff that adds a blend pot, so you can mix your effected and uneffected signal for more bottom end.

From memory, there is also a battery saving mod available for Big Muffs that changes the adaptor socket to a Boss style one.

7. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    I even would hesitate to name it "mod" because it's so easy, and not really affecting the effect... Just buy a Boss style socket, desolder the EHX style, resolder the Boss. Finished. :)

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I always heard that the Russian's had better bottom end, but after trying a US Muff at the shop a week or two ago, I fell in love. I'm gonna trade my Digitech Bass Driver in for one of those babies soon.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Bit harder than that. Drilling through stainless steel is a lot harder than it sounds. The cheaper, more efficient, less paintful way resulting in less scratches is only $3.50. Get an adapter.

3.5mm (1/8") Converter (C35) from http://www.visualsound.net/1spot.htm

After modding four USA EHX pedals, this is what I've opted to do from now on.

10. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Tplyons : :eyebrow:

I never had problems to drill these boxes.

But well, your solution is good too ! :)

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Are you talking the American or Russian and which jack were you using?

12. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    It would depend on what type of drill bit you're using too. Is the usa muff case really stainless steel? I always figured it was thin aluminum

13. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005

depends on what conditions.

For drilling sheet metal (yes, SS even) I would use a step drill (they usually run about $30) but cut really nice on anything sheet.

adding a converter would only add one more thing in the chain that has a potental to fail.

14. I wanted to get the Russian, but now I am leaning towards the American version. Are these pedals one trick ponies? it sounds like all they can do is a harsh distortion. I play classic rock. Led Zeppelin, and Black Sabbath type stuff. Do you think I could use this? Sounds like everyone on here has one...

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Even a step drill is a pain to drill that with, especially without a drill press. With a drill press, it's not TOO bad, but still hardly easy.

And as far as adding a converter, it's six inches of passive wire. Not much to worry about there.